Front sproket question

More
26 Jan 2006 14:19 #19977 by galaxian
Front sproket question was created by galaxian
I am getting ready to remove my front sprocket and had a question for those that have done this. There should be a spacer behind the spocket is it accessable without spliting the cases or not?

moderators i put this into the engine section since it is in the engine but if you feel the need to move it please do so.

its part #21 to be specific.

Post edited by: galaxian, at: 2006/01/26 17:23

1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2006 15:06 #19987 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Front sproket question
Sounds engine related to me :)
IIRC, that spacer can be (and is) installed from the outside, but it sits flush with the outside of the seal, so it maybe kinda difficult to get it out.
You should not have to split the cases anyway, just remove the trans cover behind the sprocket.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/01/26 18:08

KD9JUR

More
26 Jan 2006 15:12 #19990 by Tower_Monkey1
Replied by Tower_Monkey1 on topic Front sproket question
The part,#21 , should be on the outside of the main engine cases. It should come off after you remove the sprocket, if you want to remove it for some reason. Steell, that spacer should stick out enough to keep the sprocket and chain from rubbing on the seal and eating it up. Wayne

P.S. It would help too if we knew what year and engine were talking about here.

Post edited by: Tower_Monkey1, at: 2006/01/26 18:14

78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.

More
27 Jan 2006 06:36 #20070 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Front sproket question
Hmmm engine question in the engine section... what a novelty! bwhahaha

The spacer sits on the splined shaft. Just slides right off after removing the sprocket. You have to remove the big ol' nut and it is best to have an impact driver. It will use a 27mm socket (20mm thread on spline). I would also buy a new washer. The edges on MOST are pretty much ruined from bending. www.z1enterprises.com sells them. I buy nuts from Mdmetric.com (20mm and the right thickness but 30mm outside) as most of these nuts have been beaten to death getting them off. A common technique seems to be use of a chisel hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Jan 2006 07:41 #20075 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic Front sproket question
Well its an engine question but if you look at the chassis description it says "sprokets" so i was hesitant thats all.

Oh and my engine is a 1979 KZ650C3. I am hoping that i can remove that piece easily becasue i am going to have to machine it down and didnt want to split cases. Thanks Guys!!

More
27 Jan 2006 10:53 #20100 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Front sproket question
Dang! Good catch. Send brother Stein a note please and ask him to put "sprokets" in the engine section. He was likely thinking of the rear (driven) sprocket I guess.

Take a few minutes to edit your profile / signature and put in your bike year/model and perhaps your location (for local help offers) if you like as well. Thanks! AND GOOD CATCH ON THE SPROKETS THING!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Jan 2006 11:54 #20107 by galaxian
Replied by galaxian on topic Front sproket question
See I am paying attentionB)