No oil pan gasket?

More
12 Mar 2008 11:15 #199735 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic No oil pan gasket?
I spoke to Jeff at Z1 yeaterday, he said they don't currently offer an individal oil pan gasket for a KZ650

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2008 11:22 - 12 Mar 2008 13:39 #199736 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic No oil pan gasket?
seanof30306 wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I am curious. Why wouldn't something like Permatex #598 RTV work? I've ised it on cars before with no problems, but those were steel pans to cast iron blocks. Is there something about aluminum to aluminum that creates a problem?

First off, please note that I said 'in my mind', it´s not necessarily a definite truth. I just don´t like to use liquid sealants where I could use a gasket. Also if you look at the pic Patton posted above the red stuff is excess sealant that squeezed out when the covers were tightened down (which looks like ass if you ask me). An equal amount of sealant will squeeze out on the inside - from what I heard silicone is prone to peeling off so you run a risk of bits of silicone floating around in your oil and possibly clogging up your oil ways. May be just rumours but I like to play it safe.

And I agree with Bountyhunter, I like to keep a roll of gasket paper around - you tend to need a gasket on weekends or half an hour after the bike shop closed.

Btw Bounty, I also agree that the dealer was trying to rob you, you can get a complete Vesrah gasket kit (including valve stem seals and exhaust copper gaskets) for just around a 100 bucks. I know some people swear by OEM gaskets, but I´ve been using Vesrah gaskets in all my bikes for the past 20 years, never had a problem.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2008 13:39 by OnkelB.

More
12 Mar 2008 11:27 #199739 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic No oil pan gasket?
Most of the gaskets, O-rings and seals fit on the scanner w/no problem. For the right side cover and the oilpan gaskets, I have to scan in 2 parts. I then print on paper, tape the 2 parts together and use that as a stencil, lightly glue the stencil to the gasket material, then cut the gasket out. Works well.
At the time I originally suggested this on KZr, another member suggested that you could probably get a good gasket stencil if you were to just scan the part, itself. Haven't done that.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
12 Mar 2008 13:24 #199761 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic No oil pan gasket?
Confirming OnkelB's concerns:

The 77-79KZ1000 FSM specifies the only places requiring liquid gasket are crankcase bolts, cylinder stud bolts, and front fork bottom Allen bolts. And says, Do not apply [liquid gasket] excessively, because excessive amounts could block the engine oil passages and cause serious engine damage.

Good luck with the new gasket. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Mar 2008 16:46 #199795 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic No oil pan gasket?
Seanof30306,
Sorry, I misunderstood what you're looking for. What year/model KZ are you trying to fix up? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Mar 2008 21:47 #199839 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic No oil pan gasket?
OnkelB wrote:

Btw Bounty, I also agree that the dealer was trying to rob you, you can get a complete Vesrah gasket kit (including valve stem seals and exhaust copper gaskets) for just around a 100 bucks. I know some people swear by OEM gaskets, but I´ve been using Vesrah gaskets in all my bikes for the past 20 years, never had a problem.

I haven't tried Vesrah because they don't make a gasket set for an old 1979 750 twin so I have no experience with them. The only source for mine was Athena, that's what I got to do the rebuild on mine last September. It all went together and ran perfect ..... and then the cylinder base gasket disintegrated about 30 minutes after I fired up the engine. I had to do the entire tear down again, and a piston ring popped putting the cylinder back on. So, about $200 more and four weeks later, I had learned a painful lesson about not using aftermarket gaskets in critical places......:(

1979 KZ-750 Twin