Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

More
08 Mar 2008 06:35 #199030 by madderkaw
Has Anyone Ever Tried This? was created by madderkaw
I need the interior part of the cam chain tensioner for a kz650. It is no longer available, and I can't find one anywhere. I do have one from a kz900. The part number is different, and they are not exactly the same. They are very similar and I am planning on trying it to see if it works. The lengths are the same but the 650 part seems to be a little wider (front to back, not side to side) at the wheel that pushes on the chain. I think it can be made up with the exterior tensioner (APE manual tensioner). I can't compare the wheels becuase the 650 wheel has been worn down to almost nothing. Has anybody ever made this switch before? Does anyone besides me think this will work? I am not attaching any pics because I don't think you could even see the difference with them, that's how close they are. Anyway, if there are any opinions, pro or con I would like to hear them. I am taking my son to basketball and will check for replies when I get back. I am hoping to get this done between today and tomorrow, so please let me know what you think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2008 07:16 #199035 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Has Anyone Ever Tried This?
We discussed this before, here´s a thread that might interest you: CLICK

Another option is the Liska tensioner (pic below) that uses a sprocket in place of the rubber roller, Jeff at Z1E carries them (or can get them at least).

If you look at the thread I linked to above and scroll down to the middle you can see how I made my own "Liska style" tensioner by replacing the rubber roller on a stock 650 tensioner with a cam chain idler sprocket - note that you can´t do this with a 900/1000 cam chain guide, the bracket is too small for the sprocket. Also note that the 650/900/1000 cam chain idler sprockets are the same, even if they have different part numbers, some more info on that here.

Btw, have to admit that I didn´t run the homemade tensioner yet, but I did install it in a 650 engine I´m working on along with an APE manual tensioner and and I´m sure it´ll work just fine.

Post edited by: OnkelB, at: 2008/03/08 10:30

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:

More
08 Mar 2008 08:31 #199044 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic Has Anyone Ever Tried This?
Thanks a lot for your help. It looks like a go. I am headed out to the garage to get started. Actually, right after lunch.

More
08 Mar 2008 09:13 #199052 by madderkaw
Well, I had my lunch and now it's pouring out and I'm not even going to walk out to the garage. I guess I'll do it tomorrow.

More
11 Mar 2008 15:35 #199599 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Has Anyone Ever Tried This?
Is this the one you need?

Tensioner

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Mar 2008 12:15 #199744 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Has Anyone Ever Tried This?
Nice find Ed, they don´t show up often.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
13 Mar 2008 03:45 #199848 by madderkaw
Yes, that is exactly what I need. I already put everything back together with th 900 tensioner, but I'll try for this one anyway. If I get it I'll just swap it out.