Newbie with a hacksaw!

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
04 Mar 2008 22:26 #198474 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
Klunk + smoke doesn't sound too good...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2008 01:03 #198482 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
Naaaaaw, Don't die !!!

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
05 Mar 2008 16:46 #198590 by speeducky
Replied by speeducky on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
that's what I said dude. I'm going to drain it now. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

More
05 Mar 2008 19:31 #198616 by speeducky
well not so good news but not absolutely horrible either. It had a few very small metal shavings in the oil. It still starts fine and isn't smoking. The bad news is that it's making a little bit of noise down low in the engine. You can only hear it when you put an ear down to it but it's enough to scare me. I think my time left with you all is limited. I would think about rebuilding the engine but I have no garage to work in and can't afford to pay someone to fix it.

More
07 Mar 2008 06:20 #198884 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
You dont need a garage! do like I did. I fixed both my 650 and my 1000 in the parking lot( just dismantling the engine and putting it all back together). I used alot of covers to keep my work clean from dust and water. But once I got the engine down to just the cases and removing the clutch which would make it lighter. I carried the case area inside the house and worked there. You will need one of those U-haul trolleys though. Good luck and keep us updated on pics of parts you find in the oil. We will be able to pinpont you in a direction of where to start although I would not start that bike anymore for fear of a broken piston ring.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
07 Mar 2008 11:55 #198940 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
She's not smoking now?
She's running on all four?
Problem with top end? Doubtful.
Was is nasty oil smelling smoke or nasty raw gas smelling smoke?
Metal could have been in the oil all along. Is it steel or Aluminum? Use a magnet.
I can't imagine anything in lower end of engine that would cause smoke. Anyone? Are you sure the lower end noise is new? does it change when you actuate the clutch?
If you rebuild engine every time one of the gremlins farts, you'll never have time to ride.

More
07 Mar 2008 15:52 #198971 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
Duck wrote:

...can't imagine anything in lower end of engine that would cause smoke. Anyone?...

Contamination of oil by fuel intrusion into crankcase is a condition that will cause a lot of smoke out the exhaust. But in this particular case, am thinking such fuel-in-oil contamination is not so likely because smoke would be billowing from both exhausts and not from only the right side exhaust as reported. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2008/03/07 18:52

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
07 Mar 2008 16:19 #198977 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
I have been looking for a good exhaust system for my cop bike for awhile now ,, Mine is beat up .. Metal shavings in the oil cant be good .. ;)

More
07 Mar 2008 17:56 #198984 by speeducky
Thanks for the responses. You got me about what the problem could be. I've already committed to selling it. I don't know how much my girlfriend or landlord would like me working on an engine in the house.