Newbie with a hacksaw!

More
03 Mar 2008 23:07 #198270 by speeducky
Newbie with a hacksaw! was created by speeducky
So I'm thinking about cutting the mufflers off my exhaust. Besides making it loud as all get out what are the negative effects? Back pressure or lack there of? obviously would have to rejett the carbs (which grossly need cleaned, they wouldn't even drain without some help from carb cleaner spray). etc. etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2008 04:36 #198285 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
I would get the bike running before i cut the exhaust. If the exhaust is in good shape i would not cut it at all. Stock exhaust is hard to find and very expensive. If you found someone that wanted stock exhaust you might be able to trade you exhaust for a header.
If you put a decription of your bike in your signiture line it would help out a lot. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
04 Mar 2008 06:57 #198313 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
Is it a Harley?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Mar 2008 09:37 #198330 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
650ed wrote:

Is it a Harley?

Nice nudge :lol:

Am guessing it's the 1987 KZ1000 police bike discussed in a different earlier thread.

As Roy noted, a decription of bike in signature line helps a lot, and it's easy to do:

Click your Profile, "point" to Edit, click Update your profile, click Forum Settings, type whatever desired into Signature box, (such as 1987 KZ1000 police bike), click Update.

The newly created signature line should then appear in all your past and future posts. The signature line may be changed anytime and as often as desired.

An avatar may also be selected and set in the Forum Settings.

It's fun to do -- and "feel the power!" :woohoo:

And btw, I concur with Roy's recommendations. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2008/03/04 12:43

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2008 13:28 #198389 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
speeducky wrote:

So I'm thinking about cutting the mufflers off my exhaust. Besides making it loud as all get out what are the negative effects? Back pressure or lack there of? obviously would have to rejett the carbs (which grossly need cleaned, they wouldn't even drain without some help from carb cleaner spray). etc. etc.

Might never run right again. Headers are actually tuned to the bike as a system. Hanging an aftermarket muffler on the end of a pipe might work OK with enough time and fiddling, but an actual designed header/muffler will run much better.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Mar 2008 13:51 #198391 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
speeducky wrote:

So I'm thinking about cutting the mufflers off my exhaust. Besides making it loud as all get out what are the negative effects?

Rejet carbs, piss off lots of neighbors resulting in complaints, fines or nobody helps you when you need it, piss off local law enforcement resulting in fines, hearing damage, nerve damage, fatigue riding distance, causing already nervous people to dart into your lane, bike is worth less, no sneaking around, having to buy a real exhaust system to replace the one you hacked, lower gas mileage, hot foot?, girlfriends dad won't let you anywhere near the place riding "THAT THING!", you won't be able to hear the voices in your head, you'll always need more cowbell, the lights go on and off when you ride by houses with the clapper,it will sound like CRAP.....

What?.......What?.......What?......

You can also throw away that tee shirt that says "I'm with STUPID!" and has the up arrow! :whistle: as it will suddenly be redundant.:pinch:

Seriously....are you really contemplating this? It's a JK right? Loved the "Is it a Harley? reply! Classic!:P

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
04 Mar 2008 17:16 #198426 by speeducky
Replied by speeducky on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
haha ok, ok, so I won't do it. But if someone is looking to trade an after market 4 into one w/muffler for my stock police set I would probably entertain the idea. Thanks for the pointer on the signature area. And I must admit I laughed when I read the harley remark.:P

More
04 Mar 2008 17:17 #198427 by i800phyco
Replied by i800phyco on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
I would say the biggest downside would be it wont run well and will sound absolutely terrible.

I would look into selling the stock system and buying a 4-1, whichever way you go you will need to do some jetting and will probably lose mileage.

Edit: just saw your last post.

Post edited by: i800phyco, at: 2008/03/04 20:18

Ham lake, MN.
77&78 KZ1000A's
A nice 79 1000LTD
And a pile 80 1000LTD
Plus a few others.

More
04 Mar 2008 19:00 #198446 by speeducky
I kinda got the idea from a youtube video I saw of a cafe KZ which looked and sounded like it had an open header. I'll see if I can find it again.

More
04 Mar 2008 19:42 #198453 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
haha, this post entertains me. I know EXACTLY what you mean when you say pissed off neighbors and law enforcements. I myself own a kz with mufflers cut off. I put the exhaust on a chop saw and cut about 6 inches off of the stock exhaust and pulled the baffles out. Looks and sounds pretty mean. My other bikes have headers, but I dont have the funds right now to get one for this bike. I myself think it sounds really good, especially wide open. It is jetted just like my bikes with a header, and it seems to run just fine. Didn't notice any major changes in performance at all.

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

More
04 Mar 2008 19:54 #198454 by speeducky
Thanks jordan, Maybe I'll follow through with it. Of course I may not also as I'm afraid something just came apart.

I just took it for a brief trip down town and well when I got to my destination (the post office) I hear a "clunk" then a slight rattle for a brief second from the right side of the engine. Uh oh:( I look behind me and smoke is pouring out the right exhaust. The word shit ran through my mind. So not taking any chances I ran into the post office and then headed straight home. I heard the noise a couple times on the way home and winced both times. It's still smoking as best I can tell. I'll drain the oil tomorrow to look for any debris:( :( I fear something having to do with the bottom didn't like it's designated factory location and decided to relocate.

Post edited by: speeducky, at: 2008/03/04 22:55

More
04 Mar 2008 20:20 #198458 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Newbie with a hacksaw!
NEWBIE WITH A HACKSAW, whoa that sounds real dangerous