Programmable ignition.

More
03 Mar 2008 19:00 #198248 by Jay_G
Programmable ignition. was created by Jay_G
I am thinking about trying to do away with the electronic, mechanical advance ignition on my GT 750 and was wondering what is available out there?

i have a cdi box and the crank disc/trigger off a 85 ZX750 and was thinking about checking the fitment of the disc to see if it would fit inbetween the standard kz sensors. bike is currently fited with an 810 kit and dyna 3 ohm coils.

i wouldn't mind having a programmable ignition is there anything out there that will adapt or would i better off getting a megasquirt ignition box?

cheers

Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
03 Mar 2008 20:16 #198254 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Programmable ignition.
FYI the MegaSquirt I board only controls ignition with mods and using MegaSquirt 'n Spark (MSNS) software, and will not work with any ignition trigger that Kaw used. You will need to come up with a "missing tooth" trigger wheel, and prolly a different VR trigger.
I don't know about MegeSquirt II, but it requires a larger box, and I'm having enough fun making room for a MS I v2.2 board on my bike.
IMO MegaSquirt isn't worth just doing ignition on a Kaw.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
03 Mar 2008 21:44 #198266 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Programmable ignition.
I don't remember which version of MegaSquirt Dave Sloan is using on his 650/810, but I do remember that he is/was using it to control the ignition also.

I don't recall if he posted that here or on CycleMadness though :(

KD9JUR

More
03 Mar 2008 22:04 #198267 by Jay_G
Replied by Jay_G on topic Programmable ignition.
sorry i got slightly confused, i meant to say a megajolt. stand alone 10x10 programmable ignition, i am going to have to do a bit more reading to ensure it will be able t handle multiple coils and how it takes a signal.

More
04 Mar 2008 08:07 #198315 by steell
When you said "MegaJolt" it kind of threw me, since as far as I know MegaJolt development ceased some time ago. MegaJolt was an ion sensing ignition controller design that got shelved due to complexity, MegaJolt Light is a simpler version that uses the Ford EDIS ignition parts.

For others reading, here are a couple of links.

MegaJoltLight home page

Brent Picasso's site (He sells the MegaJolt Light in the UK).

And Dave Sloan has posted in the MegaSquirt forum at cyclemadness that he is using MS1 ver. 2.2 (the cheap one @ $140 in kit form) and is now controlling the ignition using Kawasaki pickups and a 12-1 wheel made out of a 13 tooth sprocket.

KD9JUR

More
05 Mar 2008 12:55 #198557 by Jay_G
Replied by Jay_G on topic Programmable ignition.
what is the go with cycle madness? do you need to be invited to join, as i clicked on register and said i couldn't do it.

More
05 Mar 2008 14:03 #198572 by steell
Jay_G wrote:

what is the go with cycle madness? do you need to be invited to join, as i clicked on register and said i couldn't do it.

I don't think there are any specific requirements to register, a lot of members here are also members there. I have been a member there since the beginning, and I don't know anything about having to be invited.

I'll contact the Admin there and ask him.

I just heard back from the former site Admin, and apparently he is no longer handling that function, but he forwarded my e-mail to the site owner. He also said that the site owner disabled registrations and is doing it manually upon request.

The site owner is a former member here and I know him also, I'll ask him and get back to you.

I think that all those active in the MegaSquirt forum there are also members here, it's just that there is really no place here to discuss MegaSquirt (or any other electronic fuel/ignition controller), and I don't know of any other MegaSquirt forum dedicated to bikes. :(

Post edited by: steell, at: 2008/03/05 21:07

KD9JUR

More
26 Apr 2008 13:22 #209279 by kxhonda
Replied by kxhonda on topic Programmable ignition.
Any word on registration over there? I have a set of throttle bodies coming and would like to see some discussion on that board about it.

1977 Kz650B1 #576th made.

Warsaw, In

More
26 Apr 2008 17:38 #209322 by steell
I PM'd the Administrator, only to be informed that he was no longer the Administrator, and that he had forwarded my message to the site owner that is now also the Administrator.

And I never received a reply from him :(

So, I don't have a clue what's going on there :(

KD9JUR