'77 650 killing me

More
01 Mar 2008 22:10 #197858 by camostriker
'77 650 killing me was created by camostriker
My '77 KZ650B is giving me a headache. I adjusted the clutch cable so it engages the clutch, and I can shift when my engine is not running. But, when Eileen is cranked she shuts off when I put it into gear. I slowly switched to first, and felt the clutch still spinning. Anyone know how to fix this? Also, I have no airbox, so I am gonna do the pod system, but the tube coming out of the gearbox is spitting oil out. Do I have to much in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2008 06:10 #197891 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '77 650 killing me
Try this - with the engine off pull in the clutch and push down on the kickstarter until you can feel that it moves freely. Then start the bike and put in gear. If that doesn't work you definitely need to adjust the clutch (not just the cable). Regarding oil level, put the bike on the centerstand and check the site-glass to confirm that the oil level is between the high/low marks. If you don't own a manual I suggest you get a Kawasaki shop manual for your exact model. You can usually find them on eBay. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Mar 2008 06:11 #197892 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic '77 650 killing me
Sounds like you need a manual. Clutch cable adjustment is easy but must be done by the book!:blink: Since you will be going to pods you will most likely have to re-jet the carbs. Good time to clean them also. The tube that is spitting needs to have a breather filter put on it or run it down the back. I don't like oil anywhere near my back tire so I used the filter before I went back to an airbox. As for oil overfilled.....is it? Basic premise of this whole inquiry leads to... you need a manual. Believe me it will pay for itself. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
02 Mar 2008 09:46 #197931 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic '77 650 killing me
I have an air box, and notice I'm getting some oil build up in the bottom where that crankcase breather tube connects. This is normal, to an extent.
I may put a long tube on there and run back to the tail into a can or just out in the open. Having the long tube, the oil may just work it's way back down into the engine. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
02 Mar 2008 10:36 #197939 by camostriker
Replied by camostriker on topic '77 650 killing me
I've got the Clymer manual for my bike. when it comes to the oil, i can't see through my site-glass.

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
02 Mar 2008 12:06 #197949 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic '77 650 killing me
You probably have too much oil in the crankcase.
Here is how to check.
Put the bike on the side stand. You shouldn't see any oil through the glass but you should be able to see through the sight glass and see the wall that is about 1/4 inch on the other side of the glass.
With the bike on the center stand, the oil should almost fill the sight glass but not completely.
It can't hurt to change the oil and filter. The proper amount of oil to use should be found on top of the crankcase very near to the filler hole, or found in your manual.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
02 Mar 2008 13:23 #197966 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '77 650 killing me
If you can't see through the site glass either the oil is dirty and overfilled or the bike has had REALLY dirty oil in it some time in the past and that has coated the glass. If you haven't changed the oil recently you should drain it and watch the site glass to see if it clears. If it doesn't clear, you can easily remove the clutch cover while the oil is drained and clean the site glass. However, before you try to remove the clutch cover, you should buy a Kawasaki service manual for your model bike AND buy a new clutch cover gasket (you can find the gasket on eBay for about $10 including shipping). Any way you cut it, you're going to need to be able to see through the site glass or you will not be able to maintain the proper oil level. Remember, even if you carefully measure the oil and put the right amount in during the oil change, you need the site glass to check the oil periodically as the bike consumes it. Be sure to change the filter while you're changing the oil. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Mar 2008 20:16 #198068 by camostriker
Replied by camostriker on topic '77 650 killing me
thanks a lot for the replies everyone. i wish i could fix this on my own, but my mechanic skills are limited to cars, and i have no where to work on it since my school is a liberal arts one(the bunch of pansies). i have one more question. The airbox off an 82 750, is that compatible with my 77 650?