750 twin balance shafts help

More
26 Feb 2008 07:58 #197053 by steell
750 twin balance shafts help was created by steell
I just got off the phone with the guy in Canada that races the 750 twin. He's having trouble with the balance shafts and wants to know if anyone has ever heard of running a 750 twin without them.
The plan is to cut the balance weights off the front shaft and keep it (since it runs the oil pump), and remove the rear balance shaft completely.

Anyone ever done something similar or heard of anyone that has?

My opinion is that the shafts are there for dynamic balance, to counteract the imbalance caused by the firing impulses, not to have any effect on the static balance (counteract the weight of the pistons and rods), and it will have more vibration after removing the shafts, but not enough that he can't live with it or effect reliability. Anyone disagree?

I might start another thread someday on how to build a 90 rwhp 750 twin motor :)

Hint: It involves lot's of money :)

He also said that if anyone has any questions about the motor or the bike, that they can e-mail him directly and he'll be happy to reply (it may take awhile though).
Contact me for his e-mail address, I'm not going to post it here.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2008/02/26 11:01

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2008 10:17 #197083 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 750 twin balance shafts help
steell wrote:

My opinion is that the shafts are there for dynamic balance, to counteract the imbalance caused by the firing impulses, not to have any effect on the static balance (counteract the weight of the pistons and rods),

The factory manual says the opposite. The rotating balancers are there specifically to counter the side shaking force which occurs when the crankshaft is moving through the horiziontal plane, as well as oppose the up-down force of the pistons and crank.

I don't know how bad the thing will shake without the balancers. I'd wager it will loosen your back teeth.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
26 Feb 2008 11:04 #197095 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic 750 twin balance shafts help
Sounds to me like he is trying to turn it into a Norton. Might be a good question for T.C. Christiansen. I'm sure it couldn't vibrate any worse than this did.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Attachments:

More
26 Feb 2008 11:36 #197108 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 750 twin balance shafts help
bountyhunter, now that you mention it I do recall reading that in the FSM :blush:

The problem is he's breaking the front balancer drive sprocket, and that leaves the chain with a whole lot of slack and not much room to move without breaking other things.

I suggested that he go ahead and remove the rear balancer and cut the weights off the front, then take the crank, rods, and pistons, somewhere to have the crank balanced. I know there has been at least one other 750 twin manufactured without balancers (Triumph 750 Bonneville), and the vibration didn't bother me (it was noticeable though), so it should work on the KZ750 twin.

Odd Ivar (Ibsen22000) told me about someone else that had removed the balancers and rebalanced the crank, but that was a couple of years ago and I don't remember any details, and he's no longer around to ask, unfortunately :(

Post edited by: steell, at: 2008/02/26 14:41

KD9JUR