Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Loud clunk noise when cranking--bad starter clutch?--Update 24 Feb 2008 16:46 #196798

• Skyman
  • Skyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
On my M2, right after I put in the new piston kit, I started getting an intermittent "clunk" when cranking the starter--like the starter was slipping. At first, it only happened once in a while. But it is getting more frequent.

Is the likely culprit the starter clutch? I'm getting ready to tear into it, but I wanted to get some opinions first before I go chasing after it. Anything else that might cause this?

If it is the SC, is it a serviceable part, or do you generally have to replace them?

Thanks.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2008/02/25 17:15
West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Skyman.

Loud "clunk" when cranking--bad starter clutch? 24 Feb 2008 17:11 #196807

• oldcoldankles
  • User
I'm presently checking my M1 for occasional howling based on information from the following recent thread. So far I can't see anything wrong with mine. Let us know what you find out.
Terrible noise (KZ Rider)

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2008/02/26 17:44
Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

Loud \"clunk\" when cranking--bad starter clutch? 25 Feb 2008 08:15 #196912

• Skyman
  • User
Any ideas?
West Linn, OR

Loud "clunk" when cranking--bad starter clutch? 25 Feb 2008 11:13 #196935

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
my guess would be starter clutch also. i have not had this issue but have read of it before. i have a 76kz and just got a mk11 crank. the part #'s show the same clutch for all z1,kz,ltd, mk11's. just 3 small springs , cups, and rollerbearings. look here.
kawasaki motorcycle 1000 shaft drive kz1000e2 us 1980

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2008/02/26 17:43
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Loud 25 Feb 2008 13:36 #196950

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Skyman wrote:

On my M2, right after I put in the new piston kit, I started getting an intermittent "clunk" when cranking the starter--like the starter was slipping. At first, it only happened once in a while. But it is getting more frequent.

Is the likely culprit the starter clutch? I'm getting ready to tear into it, but I wanted to get some opinions first before I go chasing after it. Anything else that might cause this?

If it is the SC, is it a serviceable part, or do you generally have to replace them?

Thanks.

Does the starter slip at all? They usually make some sort of screeching noise too. I'm guessing that you don't have a kick starter, so does the clunk appear if you attempt to bump start it? If it doesn't happen I'd check elsewhere before blaming the clutch.

I'm assuming that your starter is like my '78 kz1000's. There are springs and rollers in the starter clutch that can wear (they are replaceable) the catch is that it may be a temporary fix, because the boss on the starter gear (that these rollers engage) may also wear. I don't think that these starter gears are still available new.
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Loud 25 Feb 2008 14:14 #196958

• Skyman
  • User
Samwell wrote:

Does the starter slip at all? They usually make some sort of screeching noise too. I'm guessing that you don't have a kick starter, so does the clunk appear if you attempt to bump start it? If it doesn't happen I'd check elsewhere before blaming the clutch.

I'm assuming that your starter is like my '78 kz1000's. There are springs and rollers in the starter clutch that can wear (they are replaceable) the catch is that it may be a temporary fix, because the boss on the starter gear (that these rollers engage) may also wear. I don't think that these starter gears are still available new.

Yes, the starter does appear to be slipping. It sounds like the starter "skips" when the clunk sound is heard. It is a loud bang noise.

I spoke with Rob at Z1, and he thought it was more likely a broken tooth in the starter gear. I will take the cover off tonight and see what's going on in there.
West Linn, OR

Loud 25 Feb 2008 17:38 #196977

• oldcoldankles
  • User
The starter clutch assembly is Kawasaki p/n 13193-1006 and is used from before 1981 up to the 2005 Police bike. and sells for around $76. The starter and first stage of the double reduction gearing has very scrawny gear teeth. When you pull the cover off pull it a little at a time, straight out, as the cover supports the outboard end of the double reduction gear, and there are dowel pins for alignment.

Post edited by: oldcoldankles, at: 2008/02/25 20:50
Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

Loud 25 Feb 2008 18:58 #196986

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
mine also does this, but alot of times it actually skips off the gear and spins freely.
I need to replace mine soon, its really loud when the bike is at idle, goes away when the motor speeds up.

Loud 25 Feb 2008 20:23 #197001

• Skyman
  • User
Mine only does this when the starter is cranking, and makes no noise while running.

I pulled the stator cover off just now and took a look at all the gears. They look to be in good shape--no sign of damage, and no shavings or chunks of anything sitting in there.

Just for fun, I cranked the starter a few times with the cover off just to see if I could get it to "pop" again. Never happened.

So now I am stumped.

I guess I should pull the flywheel off to get a look at the starter clutch, just to be sure. That means I need to buy a flywheel puller, right? Argh!

I'm not sure how the puller works. Is it used after the center bolt is removed? Is it possible to remove the bolt without an impact wrench? Or is that yet *another* tool I have to buy? :S
West Linn, OR

Loud 26 Feb 2008 02:27 #197021

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Skyman wrote:

Mine only does this when the starter is cranking, and makes no noise while running.

I pulled the stator cover off just now and took a look at all the gears. They look to be in good shape--no sign of damage, and no shavings or chunks of anything sitting in there.

Just for fun, I cranked the starter a few times with the cover off just to see if I could get it to "pop" again. Never happened.

So now I am stumped.

I guess I should pull the flywheel off to get a look at the starter clutch, just to be sure. That means I need to buy a flywheel puller, right? Argh!

I'm not sure how the puller works. Is it used after the center bolt is removed? Is it possible to remove the bolt without an impact wrench? Or is that yet *another* tool I have to buy? :S

The rotor should come off with a moderate sized struggle. There's onlt the one bolt holding it to the crank. No impact required, but it may have been loctited in place. I'd suggest the proper puller from z1e. My clymer for the '78 suggested a ball bearing, a fork cap bolt and a BFH to shock it off. The result? The ball bearing got jammed into the end of the crank! Use the puller and save yourself the grief. Its less than $10.

good luck, and let us know.
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Loud 26 Feb 2008 11:12 #197100

• FloridaBiker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I had the same problem on a '83 KZ1000 CSR.
It drove me crazy trying to figure it out.
Many dollars and hours later, the solution turned out to be simple.
The advance plate (right end of crankshaft) was sticking and caused to timing to be too advanced.
I am not sure if the noise was detonation, starter 'kicking' back, or what.
In any event, soaking the advance mechanism in WD40, cleaning it and lubing it solved the problem.

Loud 26 Feb 2008 13:57 #197127

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
A lot of the trouble you all are having may be the starter itself. Especially, if you hear a howling noise as the starter stops turning.

The bushing in the back end (opposite the gear end) of the starter wears a little and dries out. This well cause the starter to not spin as fast. As the starter spins it forces the rollers in the clutch to lock the clutch up and make the engine turn over. When the engine starts running it spins faster that the starter and releases the clutch. If the engine doesn't keep running the starter catches up to it again, the clutch reengages and causes that loud clunking sound. Having the engine tuned well so it actually starts and keeps running will stop the problem.
Having the dry bushing in the starter multiplies the problem because the starter isn't turning the engine fast enough to begin with.
I couldn't find a bushing for mine when I had the problem so I packed some never seize into that bushing before I put it together. I has worked fine for a coupe years but is starting to do it again. I see there is a guy on ebay that has rebuild kits for the starters with new bushings. I hope this helps.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2008/02/26 16:58
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Page: