24 Mar 2008 23:45 #202040 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic High Speed Power Loss
I was going to suggest just staying off that stretch of road. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2008 12:38 #207848 by sramsey216
Replied by sramsey216 on topic High Speed Power Loss
First off I want to say how incredibley proud I am to be a member of this forum. It has helped me tremendously.

So my first free day this spring I decide to head up to the mountains for a bit to enjoy this warm weather. I pulled out on the highway and about 5 minutes into my journey my bike started sputtering like it wasn't getting any fuel. I pulled over, starterd her back up and about 2 miles down the road the same thing happened.

So I brought her back to the house and immediately jumped on KZ rider to try and diagnose the problem. I saw this post, jumped back on the bike, popped the gas cap, and viola! Instant fix. So I guess I'm need of a new gas cap unless anyone knows a quick fix the old one?

This is an ironic problem, because my last bike was a gsxr1000 which had the opposite problem. The gas cap wouldn't seal and it took me forever to figure out the problem was a 2 cent o-ring.

Thanks for your help. Now if someone could tell me why I'm leaking oil around the head gasket? :(

1980 KZ1000 LTD

More
20 Apr 2008 18:32 #207910 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic High Speed Power Loss
Welcome to the forum sramsey!

Glad to hear the gas cap idea worked for you too! I actually tried to fix my gas cap on several occasions by dis-assembling it, cleaning out the gunk inside the vent and then re-assembling. Ultimately it didn't work, required a great deal of time, and added frustration. Thus my recommendation that you replace the gas cap and save yourself the headache. :)

As far as the head gasket leaking oil. It could be that the gasket needs to be replaced or that the bolts that hold it on need to be re-torqued. I recommend making a new thread about that issue. Perhaps the more experienced riders will have ideas for you in that regard. More people will see the issue as well since it would be a new topic.

Hopefully that helps ya out some. B)

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD