81 550 ignition ==> 77 650 compatability

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
22 Feb 2008 12:31 #196302 by Qdude
will ignition parts; cover, advancer/mounting bolt, rotor, timing plate, wiring and oil pressure switch from a 81 550 work in a 77 650?

Sorry about all the posts, but the longer the bike is down the harder it is for my wife to not preach to me about getting a car. I love the girl and want to make life easier on her.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2008 14:20 #196320 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 81 550 ignition ==> 77 650 compatability
I did that exact swap years ago except the oil sender. I didn't touch that. All the ignition parts are direct bolt in except the 550 has non adjustable timing, so when I checked timing after installing on the 650 timing was quite a bit too retarded so slotting the holes in the plate so it can be rotated was needed at least in my case. The black box went bad in mine after a few months so I went Dyna-S instead in the end.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
22 Feb 2008 18:01 #196371 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic 81 550 ignition ==> 77 650 compatability
ya was talking to him, and told him to make a post.. what about the 550 side covers?..

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

More
22 Feb 2008 20:02 #196392 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 81 550 ignition ==> 77 650 compatability
RollingStock wrote:

ya was talking to him, and told him to make a post.. what about the 550 side covers?..

You mean ignition cover on the motor? That'll fit. Actually, you may have to use a 550 or later 650 cover. I think the electronic ignition covers have a little more clearance inside.

The side covers for the frame are completely different.

Qdude, I've done the exact swap you're asking about (but not the oil switch). You'll want the 550 coils or Dyna 3-ohm, or Accel 3-ohm coils. The 550 ignition has less dwell, so you need a slightly hotter coil to take advantage of the electronic ignition. As Ron said, you may have to make the mounting holes oval.

Also as Ron said, the igniter box is probably the weakest link, but you can make a better one for $30 ~ $40 if it goes bad.
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2008/02/22 23:06

More
23 Feb 2008 06:13 #196418 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic 81 550 ignition ==> 77 650 compatability
kool deal.. ya i ment the side cover on the motor...

trying to help him get his bike back on the road.. i have a 550 motor in not going to use and i rather see sumone that can use the part get them. then sumone on ebay

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

More
23 Feb 2008 08:24 - 03 Dec 2008 20:51 #196444 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 20:51 by JMKZHI.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
23 Feb 2008 11:21 #196478 by Qdude
Pulled all of the broken screws/parts out and have assessed damage (oil sender is still ok, I initially assumed incorrectly from it's angled upward mounting that it had sustained damage).

Parts were mangled pretty badly, difficult to discern how they looked originally.

Seems that the centrifugal plate was once connected to the hollow shaft. Was that shaft hard-fused to the plate, or had it the ability to rotate axially independently of the centrifugal plate? I don't think that it did however.

that center bolt seems to have had a lock nut on it. Will these be replaceable at a hardware shop, or is it something that has been standard even in newer bikes and therefore orderable at a dealer? The bolt was mangled to the point that it would be tough to go compare/find an identical one from a pile at the junkyard.

The Dyna-S was in 5 broken pieces, I have been told that all I need will come with the new kit so I wont worry about the central rotating part.

Thank you all for the education, sincerely.

So the 550 timing pin non-adjustability issue; can this be amended with a small round file?

I am planning to use a new Dyna-S. Using the 550 timing plate necessitates using a Dyna-S NOT intended for the 650. I will therefore wait on purchasing a new one.

Also, if recommended, where is the best place to shop for "HEI Modules"?

I would like to take advantage of Rollingstock's consideration and buy whatever parts from him that I can. But would it be better to get a timing plate from a 650 in hopes of a more simple fix for my own 650? (Thusly no coil problems as per loudhvx's counsel, particularly if I may still use Rolling's 550 side cover albeit with less clearance).

Side note
Crashed it near my twin brother's house so that is where the bike is right now. Bro's wife Car. is being wonderful by saying she does not mind it being there at all, but I know her better than that :). Thank you all for assisting me in quickly getting my bike running again.

Post edited by: Qdude, at: 2008/02/23 14:43

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you