Crashed

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Feb 2008 03:49 #195494 by Qdude
Crashed was created by Qdude

I laid it down on it's right side, smashed the cover for the points (destroyed the aftermarket ignition) and bent the shaft that extends through the "thing".

I will find out more when I take the thing apart tomorrow, but right now I am thinking that I might have totaled the engine by bending the shaft.

Is it possible that the shaft is merely bolted to the crank-shaft? (there is a bolt head sticking out after all)And I might be able to pull the bent bolt out and maybe replace the damaged parts and fix it? Checking for damaged crank shaft and bushings and such.

Or is the motor more than likely toast now?

Of course it is impossible to answer this question without seeing the bike, but maybe someone has had a similar experience and might shed some light on my situation.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
19 Feb 2008 04:19 #195496 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Crashed
I seriously doubt you damaged the crank itself, since it only sticks out of the cases maybe a 1/4 inch or so. In order to hurt it you would pretty much have to destroy the right side of the engine cases. Odds are good you will only have to replace the advancer and the bolt along with the ignition and points cover. Still a bummer but it could be much worse.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
19 Feb 2008 06:04 #195507 by RollingStock
Replied by RollingStock on topic Crashed
ya im with ^^ him.. the bolt that gos into the crank isnt very big. u probly just bent that..

not trying put a add in ur thread.. but if u need any parts let me know.. i have a dyna s, everything u need. the bolt. also have the whole left, right, side covers in chrome

73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

More
19 Feb 2008 06:26 #195512 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Crashed
Hate hearing when someone goes down, glad your ok. Gringo is right, just need a new advancer assembly. She'll be ok, I promise!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Feb 2008 13:30 #195607 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Crashed
Ooops. Crash account! I forgot to mention that I am unhurt, completely. I am very thankful of all the crashing I did as a kid on the dirt bikes, the experience kinda comes in handy.

Right ankle boot and knee leathers scuffed, right shoulder of armor jacket as well, hole in palm's heel of right gauntlet. I rolled once and landed on my feet and ran a few steps, it was probably a pretty smooth looking dismount.

It has been crappy and rainy pretty consistently around Seattle. Yesterday, however, the Sun came out in force and dried all the roads. Going to work, the normal thing, and I was feeling good about the improved weather conditions and was therefore driving a little "happy". (i.e. stoopid)

One of my favorite scenic off ramps goes 800 yards or so through an Ivy covered single lane underpass and around a bend at freeway off ramp speeds :)(southbound 85th & 80th off of I-5 Seattle). It then has a lane adjoin it on the right for a tandem two lane one way road for about 150 yrds. before it hits a T with a 140 degree left and a sharp (30 yard radius) 50 degree right turn.

I was alone with traffic for both lanes, so I decided to use both lanes to set up that 50 degree right corner left lane to right. Trouble is, they have been sanding the roads lately for the icy conditions around here, so there was a strip of accumulated sand on the road between the lanes, particularly up there close to the corner (people usually have committed to a lane much farther back).

Going left lane to right setting up the corner I slid in the sand , drifted towards the raised center island, then that other part of my/the mind decided I should just lay it down and did it for me, calmly, quickly, without excessive fuss,... but with an embarrassed smirk on my face for my stupidity.

Got (damaged or destroyed) my seat, rear fairing (sp), both turn signals, headlight ring, speedo cover, right mirror, handlebars, brake resevoir, right headlight mount, New Kerker pipe extension, full on ignition, and the engine casing will need some patching up (I've used epoxy glue before).

Thank you RollingStock, I will be contacting you for some parts.

More experience YAY !!!

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
19 Feb 2008 13:38 #195608 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Crashed
Hey, my manual is packed up right now so I dont have an exploded view.

Suppose that the ignition is wasted up to the engine block, what parts am I going to need to collect here besides the dyna ignition.

Is there a mounting plate?
Associated hardware?

perhaps a flux-capacitor?

Help is loved and coveted.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

More
19 Feb 2008 13:57 #195613 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic Crashed
Definately going to need a new flux capacitor for sure!
But like one wise man once said "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!":P

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400