Clutch adjustment - im screwing up!

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
16 Feb 2008 21:06 #195036 by ran429
Clutch adjustment - im screwing up! was created by ran429
So if my clutch is slightly out of adjustment the lower end of the motor will rattle?

I was just reading my manual a little deeper and went through my clutch area, well i have been adjusting it improperly it seems.
I have only been adjusting tension on the handle lol!

I will be doing it properly tomorrow now, too dark to do anything tonight, Maybe this will silence that rattle a little, i hope.

I also hope i get up early enough to do this because i am going Blasting with all my "GUNS"

I cant wait for that part of my day.

[img

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2008 21:28 #195039 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Clutch adjustment - im screwing up!
30 yrs and a lot of miles, I have yet to adjust a clutch other than freeplay at the lever. Works just fine.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• MSGAmling
  • User
  • Its better to burn out than it is to rust
More
17 Feb 2008 08:16 #195099 by MSGAmling
Replied by MSGAmling on topic Clutch adjustment - im screwing up!
While fiddle f*arting around with one of my many minor projects on my 81 CSR this long winter, I decided to pick up some new cables from Z1. There was nothing wrong with the clutch cable, but it looked original and I didn't want a failure during a ride. Replacement required removal of the front sprocket cover. This gave me the opportunity to clean and lube the cable pivot on the inside of the cover (it looked pretty nasty under there from all the chain lube splatter and grit that had built up), and the push rod. I did the adjustment as per the manual and what a difference! I never noticed the resistance when using the clutch before, but a new, properly adjusted cable, and cleaned and lubed components, really made me realize what a positive difference this made. The clutch lever was also removed, and all scoring on the aluminum lever buffed out, and contact points relubed. The clutch now works smoother than the newer hydraulic systems.

Ran429, where are your "eyes and ears" when shooting? Not trying to be critical. OK, yes I am, I guess. We wear protective gear when riding, and it makes me a little apprehensive to see someone enjoying the shooting sports without at least some eye and ear protection.

81 KZ650H CSR (Stock except WG Coil Mod and Air Injector elimination)
80 Yamaha DT125G Enduro
81 KZ440 Stock
76 Honda CR250M Elsinore - Sold
80 Honda XR200 - Sold

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
17 Feb 2008 09:03 #195109 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Clutch adjustment - im screwing up!
MSGAmling wrote:

While fiddle f*arting around with one of my many minor projects on my 81 CSR this long winter, I decided to pick up some new cables from Z1. There was nothing wrong with the clutch cable, but it looked original and I didn't want a failure during a ride. Replacement required removal of the front sprocket cover. This gave me the opportunity to clean and lube the cable pivot on the inside of the cover (it looked pretty nasty under there from all the chain lube splatter and grit that had built up), and the push rod. I did the adjustment as per the manual and what a difference! I never noticed the resistance when using the clutch before, but a new, properly adjusted cable, and cleaned and lubed components, really made me realize what a positive difference this made. The clutch lever was also removed, and all scoring on the aluminum lever buffed out, and contact points relubed. The clutch now works smoother than the newer hydraulic systems.

Ran429, where are your "eyes and ears" when shooting? Not trying to be critical. OK, yes I am, I guess. We wear protective gear when riding, and it makes me a little apprehensive to see someone enjoying the shooting sports without at least some eye and ear protection.

I have to do my clutch rod also, mine is shot and somewhat bent.
My eyes and ears work sometimes. Eyes moreso than ears. I gave the ear muffs to my daughter to video me. i have plugs in. forgot the glasses in kent, i was in the mountains of eastern Wa. But i am going today again to a range.