Baffled

• HOGEATER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Been riding 2 wheels since 1965,
More
15 Feb 2008 14:25 #194780 by HOGEATER
Baffled was created by HOGEATER
I'm having problems getting my timing set.
I have a 79 KZ1000LTD I've set the timing marks on the cams to the crank marks but if rotate the engine crank 360 the marks are 180 out, rotate 360 again they are on the marks??? WTF Is some thing broken or is it me.

HOGEATER.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2008 14:45 #194781 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Baffled
No, that's as it should be , the cams turn once for every 2 revolutions of the crankshaft.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
15 Feb 2008 14:46 #194782 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Baffled
HOGEATER wrote:

I'm having problems getting my timing set.
I have a 79 KZ1000LTD I've set the timing marks on the cams to the crank marks but if rotate the engine crank 360 the marks are 180 out, rotate 360 again they are on the marks??? WTF Is some thing broken or is it me.

HOGEATER.

The first time I rebuilt the top end on my KZ750 I noticed the exact same thing: I very carefully aligned to TDC and then put in the cams and made sure the arrows were pointing outward and horizontal to the top of the head surface (as the book says).

Some time later after I had been working on other things, I decided to recheck and rotated the engine back up to TDC and noticed the cam arrows were 180 out (pointing inward). So, I took it apart and realigned the cams.....

Then I realized they were correct either way. There are two TDC alignments on each four stroke cycle, because the complete cycle takes two revolutions. You can set the cams to the line marks on either TDC, it makes no difference. If you rotate the engine one revolution after alignment, the cams will then appear to be 180 out of spec.

Post edited by: bountyhunter, at: 2008/02/15 17:50

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• HOGEATER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Been riding 2 wheels since 1965,
More
15 Feb 2008 15:02 #194785 by HOGEATER
Replied by HOGEATER on topic Baffled
Thanks for the quick answers , now I just need to put the rest back together so I can ride..

HOGEATER
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1