Cyl #2 & #3 sooty or rich

More
11 Feb 2008 23:26 #194152 by inline79
Cyl #2 & #3 sooty or rich was created by inline79
Hi,

Plug #2 and #3 are consistently sooty when I pull them out in the garage and I can't figure out why. Bike starts and runs fine, but I think it could run better.

Poor Spark?
- Voltage to coils is strong (coil mod done).
- Swapped igniter circuits with no effect.
- Swapped pickup circuits with no effect
- New plug caps, new plugs.
- coil resistances check out fine as per manual.

Too Much Gas?
- starter plungers on 2 and 3 look fine.
- float levels within spec
- stock pilot jet installed (15)

Not Enough Air?
- Air filter is clean
- new airbox boots
- Carbs synched

What do you think of these other possibilities?
- blockage in 2 & 3 exhaust?
- carb holders leaking? (wouldn't this cause leanness?)

What else could it be??? This is annoying me, and seemed to begin after I rebuilt the carbs and added electronic ignition (don't know which one did it).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2008 10:49 #194219 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic Cyl #2 & #3 sooty or rich
Have you checked the valve clearance? You could try a leak down or compression test.

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

More
13 Feb 2008 01:46 #194329 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cyl #2 & #3 sooty or rich
Concur with suggestion to check compression and valve clearances.

New plug wires also?

Fat blue spark? :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Feb 2008 17:41 #194459 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Cyl #2 & #3 sooty or rich
Sounds like a classic case of 1 & 4 not firing.:woohoo:

More
08 Mar 2008 03:36 #199019 by OldRobP
Replied by OldRobP on topic Cyl #2 & #3 sooty or rich
You didn't mention how many miles are on the motor, but here's what happens often with well-ridden Kaw 4 cyls. Because there's so much interfering with front-to-back air flow through the passages between cyls 1 & 2 and 3 & 4, the 2 middle cylinders run hotter than the outer ones that get all that good exterior wind. This causes their rings to wear faster, and a gradual drop in compression over time. As compression starts flagging things like you've described start happening. Check the cranking compression on all 4 cyls -- if the bike's been well used I expect you'll see significantly lower readings on 2&3. My 1st Z1 started acting sluggish and sooting up plugs, etc. after about 85,000 touring miles -- a compression check showed it was running on 110 lbs. on 1 & 4 and about 25 lbs. on 2 & 3, just enough compression to make it seem like something else was wrong <lol>. New rings and a litle valve cleanup was all it took to get that nice punch back.

Good Luck!
OldRobP

More
08 Mar 2008 03:36 #199020 by OldRobP
Replied by OldRobP on topic Cyl #2 &amp; #3 sooty or rich
You didn't mention how many miles are on the motor, but here's what happens often with well-ridden Kaw 4 cyls. Because there's so much interfering with front-to-back air flow through the passages between cyls 1 & 2 and 3 & 4, the 2 middle cylinders run hotter than the outer ones that get all that good exterior wind. This causes their rings to wear faster, and a gradual drop in compression over time. As compression starts flagging things like you've described start happening. Check the cranking compression on all 4 cyls -- if the bike's been well used I expect you'll see significantly lower readings on 2&3. My 1st Z1 started acting sluggish and sooting up plugs, etc. after about 85,000 touring miles -- a compression check showed it was running on 110 lbs. on 1 & 4 and about 25 lbs. on 2 & 3, just enough compression to make it seem like something else was wrong <lol>. New rings and a litle valve cleanup was all it took to get that nice punch back.

Good Luck!
OldRobP

More
08 Mar 2008 03:37 #199021 by OldRobP
Replied by OldRobP on topic Cyl #2 &amp; #3 sooty or rich

Good Luck!
OldRobP