The Kerker is welded together - options?

More
22 Jan 2006 20:35 #19398 by inline79
This is a revisit of my kerker problem of

kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25508

I've had the header and muffler assembly to a shop, with someone helping me heat and spray and guys pulling on it like no tomorrow. I think 25 years of heating and cooling have welded it solid. It simply will not come apart.

Anyone ever encounter this before? What did you do? It looks like it will have to be cut and re-welded. I'm not sure if it's worth that sort of effort just to pack it with fibreglas. It would help me a lot to hear from fellow KZ owners.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2006 20:45 #19401 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
the baffle cap should be held in the end of megaphone with a screw or cap the baffle should be inside there find a piece of pipe that will fit down inside the baffle when the cap is removed and soak it down real good with zep-45 and work it side to side.if it dont come out that way remove the megaphone from the header and put something in there to beat it out from the bottem!goodluck,happy wrenching!:whistle:

More
23 Jan 2006 08:12 #19455 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
never had one *that* stuck together.

what i would do is heat the tubing where it joins together. then douse it with some pb blast, wd-40, or some of what wireman suggests.

the heated joint will draw some of the penetrant into the slipped section. without waiting for it to cool much, i would then take a towel or rag or something to hold it with, and wriggle/pull it apart at the same time. if you can get it to wriggle, then you should be able to pull it apart.

also, try twisting at the same time. so, wriggle/twist/pull all at once.

if you don't have enough hands for this, call a doctor. 8^)

you can also try GENTLY tapping the slip joint with a small hammer or better yet with a block of wood. this might dis-lodge some of the rusty-crusties holding your piece of classic pipeage together.

once apart, clean all that munge out, and fit it together a few times to make sure it's not gonna stick again. if you have to force it, it's not right.

oh, i almost forgot, consult your witch-doctor, and maybe sacrifice a couple chickens to make sure he can spin the spell right. 8^)

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
23 Jan 2006 18:56 #19555 by BRGMGBGT
Replied by BRGMGBGT on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
In addition to the above recomendations, try this (sometimes it works, sometimes it don't).
Do this in combination with everything else, and with the help of lots of penetrating oil.
You need two hammers, I'd try a couple of shot filled soft face hammers would probably work best.
You want to smack the joint from opposing sides AT THE SAME TIME, again and again and again. Set up a rhythm but strike so that both hammers hit at the EXACT same time from opposit sides. The object is to cause the joint to flex, kind of forcing it oval, you don't want to hit it so hard as to deform the metal perminentaly, but flex it, and by continous repitition you set up a vibration. All of this helps.
So now you get your rhythem going and work around the joint. Sometimes between the flexing and vibration this will help slip the rusty bonds of metal. Oh, and keep loading it with penetrant oil of choice.

Good luck, hope this helps.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
23 Jan 2006 18:57 #19556 by KZQ
Hi Inline,
I've had the exact problem on my DG six into one. The front baffle plate acted as if it was welded in place. In the end I destroyed the back baffel leaving the center pipe in place. I repacked the baffel and had to fabricate a new back plate. The end result was the same.
KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
23 Jan 2006 19:43 #19564 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
If you are still pulling your hair out over this inline you might try ordering some Kroil. It's supposed to work where other penetrating oils fail.

www.kanolabs.com/

Good luck!

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
24 Jan 2006 02:46 #19597 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
If your pip is handy, can you tell me the OD of the muffler where it fits over the small end of the collector or better, the OD of this small end. I ask because mine is some 40 miles away at the moment and I need to go look at a new 'used' megaphone this AM.

Thanks.

-Duck

More
25 Jan 2006 05:15 #19803 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
i seem to remember reading a thread here about using wax to get stuck bolts out by heating the bolt and melting wax around it and the wax will draw in then freeing it up... can anyone confirm or deny this?.. or do i need to step away from the pipe?:side:

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
25 Jan 2006 09:34 #19842 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
I'm a 100 % believer in KROIL !!! I have a $50.00 gallon @ home. And you can get smaller amounts.
I've used it on stuck snowmobile shafts and it does work !!!
I've heard of people having good luck with the wax too..
But you shouldn't have to pull it apart to repack it ( the Kerker )
Just take the end cap off:whistle:
pat

Dang !!!! The price has really dropped on Kroil !!!!:ohmy: Maybe mine was $50.00 with shipping and the other spray cans....

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2006/01/25 12:38

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
26 Jan 2006 16:50 #19998 by inline79
Replied by inline79 on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
Thanks for the tips guys. Rather than go after the header/slip-on I've been trying to pull the baffle out of the end to repack it. Not as easy as I thought.

Anyone got tips on freeing up this Kerker end cap without destroying it or the baffle that's still in the pipe? Went at it this afternoon trying to get the end cap off. Gawd I love these old bikes! I could see it being done if the baffles weren't in there. Time to get out the torch, maybe?

More
26 Jan 2006 17:49 #20003 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
Slide hammer with a hook on the end would work nicely.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

More
26 Jan 2006 18:31 #20009 by Tower_Monkey1
Replied by Tower_Monkey1 on topic The Kerker is welded together - options?
the baffle shouldnt be that tuff to get out,Im not saying you dont know what your doing, but are you sure it isnt pop rivited in or maybe be spot welded somewhere ? Mine is bolted in and after removing the bolt, I just give it a twist with pliers and it pulls right out... Wayne

Post edited by: Tower_Monkey1, at: 2006/01/26 21:33

78 KZ650C2 Dyna ignition and coils,Pod filters,4-1 Kerker,CBR Tail Light,Drilled front dics,Custom front fender,1/4 fairing.