cam timing troubles on a rebuild.

More
10 Feb 2008 04:04 #193741 by Samwell
cam timing troubles on a rebuild. was created by Samwell
I'm finally getting close to finishing the motor on my rebuild. (Just one or two more trips to z1!) This is a kz1000a2 (1978).

The crank was supercranked by falicon(they also replaced one rod and some rusty bearings). I've installed new low comp pistons from APE (je pistons), a new cam chain, new cam guide parts (ape and liska) except for the top cam guide(its out of stock at z1).

My problem is when I install the cams according to the manual, it can't be right because a valve contacts a piston when turning by hand! I've followed the directions 3 times and get the same problem, but the piston that touches changes! i.e.: the first time it was #2, then #4 and the #3. I'm obviously doing something wrong or my collection of parts won't play together...:sick:

Today, I'm pulling the head off and looking around to see if something wasn't installed right. Without the cams installed it turns over easily by hand no binding at all.

If it helps, the cams are stock.

thanks...Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2008 04:37 #193746 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic cam timing troubles on a rebuild.
Samwell wrote:

My problem is when I install the cams according to the manual, it can't be right because a valve contacts a piston when turning by hand! I've followed the directions 3 times and get the same problem, but the piston that touches changes! i.e.: the first time it was #2, then #4 and the #3. I'm obviously doing something wrong or my collection of parts won't play together...:sick:

Today, I'm pulling the head off and looking around to see if something wasn't installed right. Without the cams installed it turns over easily by hand no binding at all.

thanks...Sam

This is an easy one. Some of your cam chain components do not match. Crank pin (15 or 16), Cam sprockets (30 or 32), Cam Chain (short or long). This is the "only way" what you describe could happen.

More
10 Feb 2008 06:51 #193761 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic cam timing troubles on a rebuild.
modprod wrote:

Samwell wrote:

thanks...Sam

This is an easy one. Some of your cam chain components do not match. Crank pin (15 or 16), Cam sprockets (30 or 32), Cam Chain (short or long). This is the "only way" what you describe could happen.

I wondered about this as a solution. I have 30 tooth cam gears(counted them last night), the cam chain is 122 teeth (order from z1e - new in the box). The only change could be if the crank work required changing the crank sprocket and they used a 16 tooth instead of a 15. Unfortuneately I didn't count the teeth (or at least I don't remember doing it) and this will require splitting the cases again.:sick:

sam

--
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
10 Feb 2008 07:01 #193764 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic cam timing troubles on a rebuild.
Sam, just a thought but couldn't you use something to mark one of the teeth on the crank (I'm thinking like maybe white-out) and just count the teeth while you rotate the crank? Has to be easier than splitting the cases.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
10 Feb 2008 09:31 #193792 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic cam timing troubles on a rebuild.
The Gringo wrote:

Sam, just a thought but couldn't you use something to mark one of the teeth on the crank (I'm thinking like maybe white-out) and just count the teeth while you rotate the crank? Has to be easier than splitting the cases.

Good idea! I've just done it, now I've found out that I have a 16 tooth crank sprocket... This won't work with my 122 link cam chain and 30 tooth cam sprockets.
Thanks too, modprod for the info, now all i need is a longer cam chain and new gears...

Sam

--