Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

engine interchange 22 Jan 2006 15:35 #19314

• muleman
  • muleman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1976 kz900 with a locked up motor.It's been sitting for about 8 years. What is the best way to free it up? Also, what does it take to install a later "J" type or gpz engine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

engine interchange 22 Jan 2006 19:15 #19372

• wireman
  • Visitor
if the motor isnt full of water you might be able to dump some gas/trans fluid down the holes and let it sit for a while to break it loose it depends on what caused it to lock up to begin with.the motor mounts and some of the wiring are differant on the j/gpz motor ive got a brother who i dont talk to who has a 79-80 kz with a j-motor in it somebody did a lot of hacking to make it fit in there.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

engine interchange 23 Jan 2006 02:44 #19426

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
what part of world do you reside in?

-Duck

engine interchange 23 Jan 2006 04:18 #19428

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
Any of the 73-80 900 or 1000 motors will fit directly.

The 81 and up motors use different engine mounts - so you'd have some significant frame modification to mount the J motors in the earlier frames.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

engine interchange 23 Jan 2006 05:03 #19431

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I am not keen on pouring gas down spark plug holes. I think it would dissolve oil rather than break loose rings. I would use WD40 which is a petroleum based product I think and I doubt it will dissolve any oil down lower in the engine and ruin bearings.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

engine interchange 23 Jan 2006 05:44 #19442

• wireman
  • Visitor
we just use the gas /tranny fluid to try and break the rings loose,if it does work you definately want to change oil before you run it.weve loosened up a lot of old car/truck motors this way over the years ,ut have never tried it on a motorcycle.goodluck,happy wrenching!:whistle:

engine interchange 23 Jan 2006 07:47 #19452

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My brother has had several auto mech shops in the past years and he has used tranny fluid to break loose rings. As stated before you'll have to do an oil change to get the tranny fluid out of the motor before running and you'll want to do another oil change after you run it for a short period of time.
We have also used Miracle oil in the oil and gas to help with motors that are having internal issues.

• Page: