Header questions

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
04 Feb 2008 09:50 #192724 by riverroad
Header questions was created by riverroad
Gettin some jack back from uncle Sam, so I'm thinking about upgrading my exhaust system.
I like the Kerker, but man is it expensive.
As far as the Vance and Hines header, does anybody know if the baffle is removable?

Another option, since my Mac 4 into 1 with a tractor muffler shoved up it, works great, but is uglier than my sister, almost.
So I was thinking about having it ceramic coated in that polished aluminum color.
Has anybody tried it, how long ago, and does it still look good?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2008 09:53 #192725 by brokenrod
Replied by brokenrod on topic Header questions
on my V&H street megaphone, the baffle is removable by 1 bolt much like the mac system

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it...
1981 GPZ1100, 1981 kz1000m1(csr), 1979 suzuki gs425

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
04 Feb 2008 10:04 #192728 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Header questions
I might just go with the V&H then. But I really like that little upsweep on the end that the Kerker has.
Which is why I have another little idea floating around in my head.

See that narrow part of my header muffler just aft of the collector? I was thinking about trying to get a muffler shop to put a slight bend in that section to raise the muffler up to just under the passenger foot peg. Either have him bend it, or I could try to splice in a little angled section of pipe with my welder.

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2008/02/04 13:07
Attachments:

More
04 Feb 2008 11:22 #192737 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Header questions
riverroad wrote:

I might just go with the V&H then. But I really like that little upsweep on the end that the Kerker has.
Which is why I have another little idea floating around in my head.

See that narrow part of my header muffler just aft of the collector? I was thinking about trying to get a muffler shop to put a slight bend in that section to raise the muffler up to just under the passenger foot peg. Either have him bend it, or I could try to splice in a little angled section of pipe with my welder.<br><br>Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2008/02/04 13:07

Might be easier just to mave a "V" cut in the pipe and weld the two ends together.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
04 Feb 2008 11:39 #192740 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Header questions
Yep bountyhunter, been sittin here pondering just that, trying to visualize how much of a notch I should cut.
I'm having doubts whether the thing will fit in a bender. Not gonna take much notch at all when I think about it.
Have the sawsall, die grinder and welder all ready. Now I just need some time and decent weather.
Or a bigger garage.