Starter problem (not electrical)

More
30 Jan 2008 12:25 #191843 by lhemrick
Starter problem (not electrical) was created by lhemrick
Hi,

I have a 1981 kz550ltd that has a problem when I try to start it. The starter rarely engages and just spins freely most of the time. I have a manual on the way but I would like to get some input from you who know more than me about these bikes. What is the problem and how involved will it be to correct?

Post edited by: lhemrick, at: 2008/01/30 15:31

Post edited by: lhemrick, at: 2008/01/30 15:32
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
30 Jan 2008 13:16 #191850 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
What your describing sounds like a starter clutch thats bad. Does it sound like a bunch of marbles spinning around when u hit the button? It could be the starter is going bad. I dunno, im sorry i cant be more help.

Ps: Thats why i only have bikes with kick starters;) :lol: :whistle: :cheer:

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
30 Jan 2008 13:38 #191851 by lhemrick
Replied by lhemrick on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
Starter sounds fine and I believe it is functioning properly. I do believe it is something inside and I wonder how hard it will be to get in there. Do I have to spilt the engine case apart to get to it?

Lynn

More
30 Jan 2008 15:33 #191868 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
NO, just remove the sprocket cover (shifter, foot peg) and the starter cover and there it is! In the pic below with the sprocket cover removed you can see the starter right under the chrome cover below carbs. Very easy job.

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/01/30 18:44

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
30 Jan 2008 16:09 #191879 by lhemrick
Bluemeanie wrote:

NO, just remove the sprocket cover (shifter, foot peg) and the starter cover and there it is! In the pic below with the sprocket cover removed you can see the starter right under the chrome cover below carbs. Very easy job.

<br><br>Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/01/30 18:44

Ok I have already admitted I know very little about motorcycles so I'm going to ask is that just to get to the starter or can I get to the starter clutch to fix or replace it that easily?

More
30 Jan 2008 16:24 #191881 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. That's just getting to the starter. I've never replaced a starter clutch. Someone else here will pipe in. :dry:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
30 Jan 2008 16:31 #191883 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
Yeah, that's got to be the starter clutch from your description.

Each type of bike seems to have a different kind of method for getting to the starter clutch. On my bikes, they are right under the side cover.

On other bikes, I've read that you're *supposed to* split the cases to get to it, but various members have done it by getting through a tiny hole in the side... not for the impatient.

By all means, do searches in this forum about this topic... you'll find TONS of info on starter clutches....

B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
28 Feb 2008 16:39 #197426 by j_bizach
Replied by j_bizach on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
hey im having the same problem anyone else that knows anything about this

More
29 Feb 2008 11:09 #197551 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
I think you might be able to get at it from the bottom. I think you take the oilpan off, and the oil-pump out. Then you have to pull the left-side cover and the clutch cover. Follow the manual directions for removing the secondary shaft. I think you pull off the bearing cap from the left side and tap out the secondary shaft until it comes out of the clutch side. The manual says to remove engine and split the cases, but I don't think it's necessary to do all that if you don't mind fidling with it from underneath.

Some bikes have a frame member that prevents you from removing the oil-pan so you have no choice but to remove the engine. I think that may be on the later GPZ 750 models.

You want to do this where there is no wind to throw dirt into the motor, and you'll need a tarp to catch the oil drips under the bike.

Here's the manual:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/KZ5mnl.pdf
Page 109 in the manual is page 119 of the pdf. Removal (requiring engine removal and case split).
Page 184 in the manual is page 194 of the pdf. Inspection.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2008/02/29 14:11

More
29 Feb 2008 11:57 #197563 by lhemrick
I Thank you! Thats what I've been told I could do but was looking for another opnion or to find someone else with that same info before I start. I'm going to try hoisting the bike up in the air from the front and come at it from the side.

Thanks again,
Lynn Hemrick

More
29 Feb 2008 12:20 #197573 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
That sounds like a plan. No battery, gas or oil, and keep an eye on your brake master cylinder(s) if they leak, better drain them or seal them.

I haven't actually done it, so I can't say for sure it can be done that way, but I know that's how people did their 650's.

More
03 Mar 2008 17:46 #198236 by j_bizach
Replied by j_bizach on topic Starter problem (not electrical)
hey let me know how it goes maybe take a few picture for me as im going to have to do the same to my 550 here when i get the time as mine will no longer start.