what cams would you choose?

More
29 Jan 2008 23:20 #191775 by kawsakiman
what cams would you choose? was created by kawsakiman
seems like everyone here is now building a 1200/1260 motor for their street bike.
as far as i can tell, most of us are running .429 cams.
in my quest to be bigger and badder, i am now considering changing my choice for cams.
ok, a little background.
1260 piston kit, j-head w/38.5 intakes ,stock exhaust valves, no porting done to the head.
i will be running either 36 or 38 mm flat slides.
( anyone got a opinion on which one will be better? )

I really don't want another cookie cutter motor and a 1327 or bigger is not in the budget.

I was thinking the ape .435 cams.
anyone run these in a similar setup?

i got the loot to change cams but a big block and new pistons is out of range for me.

what can I expect from the better cams?

or should I just stick with what i got?
so far I went from .420 to .429 cams but I really want to be different with this motor.

what would you do and what cams would you use?

please tell me if you need more info on this motor. i really don't want to have to build it twice.
thanks guys!

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2008 04:38 #191783 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic what cams would you choose?
Some place in there you have to change over to under bucket shims I dont remember how much lift requires that change.
I would think you wold get some bang for the buck with some port work along with the bigger valves and stay with the cams you have

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
30 Jan 2008 08:42 #191804 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic what cams would you choose?
If you're planning running this motor on the street the majority of the time, I suggest running the 36mm carbs. The smaller venturi's will keep up the air velocity and be more responsive.

Also when you said "different with this motor" are you talking about? Trying something not tried and true? Or some combo that noone else has? I don't follow.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
30 Jan 2008 16:00 #191876 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic what cams would you choose?
BSKZ650 wrote:

Some place in there you have to change over to under bucket shims I dont remember how much lift requires that change.
I would think you wold get some bang for the buck with some port work along with the bigger valves and stay with the cams you have

Anything over our 410s need shim on bottom to be safe. If he is running 429s now, he already has the shims on bottom.

Our 435 is the largest cam we recommend for a street bike regardless how big the motor goes. That is because anything larger causes rapid valve spring fatigue.

Jay

More
30 Jan 2008 22:57 #191933 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic what cams would you choose?
ive been the big cam,big valve big ported route on streetbike motors before but they tend to be peaky top end motors that piss and pop and are no fun for a daily driver.the 1197 motor i took out of my z1 had a big valve head and big cams when i first put it together but you couldnt ride the damn thing when i put a small valve head with 410 cams and a set of smoothbores on it the damn thing was actually quicker,not as fast but it would smoke the origional setup in a stoplight to stoplight bashing :evil: B) just think about where you are going to spend majority of your time and build the topend to match;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.