Soda, Walnut, or Glass Bead Blasting?

More
29 Jan 2008 18:39 #191737 by 76LTD
I am about ready to put my engine back together but am not happy with the finish. I am also lazy and don't want to put in the time to polish the head, cylinders, cases and covers by hand. So I am left with the various media blasting options. Soda blasting looks good for a restored look, but I wonder if it is aggressive enough to remove the 30 years worth of corrosion. The soda blast guy tells me that the engine will look like new. There is no major pitting or anything like that, but under close inspection there are dark marks that look like light corrosion. Walnut shell blasting might be a step up in the hardness scale of blasting media. Then there is glass bead blasting, but I wonder if that would give the engine a "beyond original shine" look. Any experience or comments on these three options? Thanks for your input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2008 18:59 #191742 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Soda, Walnut, or Glass Bead Blasting?
You'd probably better stick with soda if you don't wanna do a lot of work.

I use silica media and it cuts like a knife; but I want the surface prepped for poweder-coating (or whatever) b/c I like my motors black. If you went with the silica media it'd sure cut everyting off, but you'd have work to do after that. But, if you wanted, then you could take scotch-brite to it and get that 'brushed' / 'machined' look and then put a light clear coat over it to keep it that way. Just a thought.

Post up pics of your progress and your results!

-KR

Post edited by: Bad Kaw, at: 2008/01/29 22:01

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
30 Jan 2008 05:32 #191789 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Soda, Walnut, or Glass Bead Blasting?
There has been a lot of discussion about the residue left behind by walnut shell blasting on other sites, apparently it's a real bear to remove and has caused some serious problems in certain situations.

KD9JUR

More
30 Jan 2008 06:33 #191795 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Soda, Walnut, or Glass Bead Blasting?
I agree about the walnut shells leaving plenty of dust and the like - but they work well... they do not remove any metal - I think the glass bead leaves the metal too bright - a sign metal is being removed. I have experimented with different size glass bead, walney shells and some other stuff - but still use the walnut shell media on engine cases.

The biggest issue with the walnut shells is a tendancy to clog the pickup tube in my blast cabinet due to the larger size - so I now have a modified pickup tube at the bottom of the cabinet with two pickup holes - I close off one of the two depending on the media.

Also, I have to run 100 psi with the walnut shells and the poor compressor is running flat out all the time - whereas for most glass bead, I wind the air pressure down to around 65 or 70 psi.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• kz1000g megasquirting
  • User
  • I chrome plate smaller items, pm for info.
More
30 Jan 2008 14:43 #191857 by kz1000g megasquirting
Replied by kz1000g megasquirting on topic Soda, Walnut, or Glass Bead Blasting?
Soda. Walnut shells are too slow. Grit embeds itself in aluminum. Soda washes away with water. I buy 12 lb. bags at Sam's club for $5. It's between the walnut shells and aluminum oxide as far as how fast it cuts. But you make up for it without spending so long blowing the grit out of all the nooks and crannies.

-Jim Bateman

More
30 Jan 2008 15:33 #191869 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic Soda, Walnut, or Glass Bead Blasting?
I figured the soda to be a softer and slower media than walnut shells. How does it do on the corrosion? Are you using any special equipment to spray the soda?