Cylinder Head Bolts

More
28 Jan 2008 17:24 #191504 by BIGD
Cylinder Head Bolts was created by BIGD
I seem to have oil leakage from the outside left and right cylinder head cover bolts on my 1981 KZ1000M-1, and have not torqued the bolts tighter to see if this solves the problem. And my question is, should I tighten all the bolts in a proper pattern order much like cylinder head bolts or would torquing just the two outside bolts that seem to be the problem be OK. Thanks for the help in advance. BIGD

Had 1981 KZ1000 M1 From 1981-1995 Canadian Model
Have 1981 KZ1000 M1 US Model
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2008 19:03 #191541 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cylinder Head Bolts
Hello, BIGD, and Welcome to the site! :cheer:
We're glad you're here!:)

This might be of interest:

new valve cover gasket from Z1E

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Jan 2008 21:34 #191559 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Cylinder Head Bolts
BIGD,
Patton is absolutely correct - get a new gasket, and if you want to fix the problem correctly, get new cylinder head cover plugs as well. the rubber hardens and cracks over time, and unless you know for a fact that they are newer, that may be your problem.

You can get both gasket and plugs from Z1 Enterprises for just a few bucks. When you install the plugs, be sure to also apply some sealant around the plug before inserting them (per factory manual).

Do not attempt to only tighten the bolts, they are likly to strip-out the thread in the cylinder head (don't ask me how I know this:angry: ). Good luck, and do it the right way - not the "easy way".

More
29 Jan 2008 00:54 #191566 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Cylinder Head Bolts
Hello BIGD...to answer your question, tighten the valve cover bolts in the correct sequence. If you don't have a Kawasaki shop manual, get one (eBay is a source, they should be relatively inexpensive)...as it clearly demonstrates the tightening sequence...amongst mountains of useful info.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
29 Jan 2008 02:29 #191568 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Cylinder Head Bolts
I have never torqued any of the bolts or gone in a certain pattern when tightening them and never had a problem. A new gasket should do the trick.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
29 Jan 2008 09:55 #191643 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cylinder Head Bolts
Norseman wrote:

BIGD,
Patton is absolutely correct - get a new gasket, and if you want to fix the problem correctly, get new cylinder head cover plugs as well. the rubber hardens and cracks over time, and unless you know for a fact that they are newer, that may be your problem.

You may find those rubber plugs to be kind of pricey: I think mine were like $15 each at Bike bandit, you can double that for the dealer.

When mine started to leak I ran them many years with no leak by:

1) Take off the cover, scrape off the old gasket. Save it if you can get it off in one piece. It will make a great pattern for cutting a new one.

2) Remove the plugs and clean all the surfaces of the old gasket bonder.

3) I use the black ultra hi-temp RTV gasket maker to line the curved parts of the head where the rubber plugs go. Push them in gently and use a straight edge like a popsicle stick to get them set in level and straight to the head top surface.

4) Make a new gasket (or buy one but they are very pricey). I used the 1/32" rubberized gasket material at Pep Boys and it works well. Trace it and cut it with an X-acto knife. Takes a while but saves you about $40.

5) When I re install I run a bead of black RTV across the top of the rubber plugs and across the head next to them so they will seal.

That should seal the leaks off very tight.

I alos found the torque spec on mine was too high (about 120 inch pounds). I get better results using a small 10mm wrench by hand to tighten the bolts. When torqued to spec, I actually crushed a new aftermarket gasket and it split a little: probably not a great gasket, but I still think 120 is too high.

Post edited by: bountyhunter, at: 2008/01/29 12:59

1979 KZ-750 Twin