fast-rising revs

More
27 Jan 2008 16:30 #191322 by Rickman
fast-rising revs was created by Rickman
Since the 1171 kit, When my bike is warm, it pings thru the low midrange 2.5-4000 rpm -- when you're in higher gear and open the throttle. It seems to me that before it warms up, it doesn't ping, but when I drive like that cold, somewhere in that range there's a spot where the revs can suddenly shoot up like I dunno, 1000 rpm in a real split second.. Does anyone know what I mean?

I'm still planning to get a dyna 2000 to address this, but as a relative newbie on my first bike, I'm curious if anyone knows what might be going on in my engine, or if I'm just imagining things.
thanks
Ricky

Edit, PS: Oh -- maybe my clutch is slipping?

Post edited by: Rickman, at: 2008/01/27 19:31

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2008 03:12 #191384 by THE WIZARD
Replied by THE WIZARD on topic fast-rising revs
Bigger Motor More Fuel,one size on pilot two on main.

More
26 Mar 2008 21:23 #202409 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic fast-rising revs
I'd done the jets already, and now I've done the dyna2000 and it still does it so I'm thinking I need to raise the needle if I can find the right kind of washers.

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
26 Mar 2008 22:58 - 26 Mar 2008 23:07 #202420 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fast-rising revs
Possible air leak? If not already done, would check to assure no air leak due to cracked carb holder, loose clamp, improper fitment of carb into holder, or otherwise. Effect could worsen with warming and coming off choke. Air leak could also result from faulty closure of choke plunger whereby the rubber seal at base of choke plunger fails to close off the separate air intake passage which provides air to the enrichener fuel mixture and is supposed to be blocked when the choke is off (i.e., choke plungers in down position).

Mixture too lean? Could also double-check setting of carb pilot adjustment screws.

Ignition timing? Would double-check (with strobe-type timing light) to assure correct setting and proper operation of advancer unit (if applicable).

As to clutch slipping -- would perform clutch push-rod adjustment per FSM (through access cap on engine sprocket cover). This is a independent adjustment, separate and apart from adjusting slack within the clutch cable. Lack of sufficient gap in the clutch push-rod can easily prevent the clutch plates from completely engaging (i.e., prevent the clutch plates from completely closing together).

Hoping for simple fixes. :cheer: Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Mar 2008 23:07 by Patton.

More
26 Mar 2008 22:59 #202421 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic fast-rising revs
Rickman wrote:

Since the 1171 kit, When my bike is warm, it pings thru the low midrange 2.5-4000 rpm -- when you're in higher gear and open the throttle. It seems to me that before it warms up, it doesn't ping, but when I drive like that cold, somewhere in that range there's a spot where the revs can suddenly shoot up like I dunno, 1000 rpm in a real split second.. Does anyone know what I mean?

I'm still planning to get a dyna 2000 to address this, but as a relative newbie on my first bike, I'm curious if anyone knows what might be going on in my engine, or if I'm just imagining things.
thanks
Ricky

If you speed isn't picking up with the rpm's then yes your clutch is slipping. If it is pinging when it is warm, check the timing, and also check that the centrifugal timing is also working correctly.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
26 Mar 2008 23:13 #202422 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic fast-rising revs
Rickman wrote:

thanks
Ricky If you feel vibration through the handlebars at 80mph, the timing is too advanced. U have to back the timing off after the piston kit or use premium fuel.

More
27 Mar 2008 11:38 #202499 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic fast-rising revs
Sounds like an air leak in the enricher or pilot system. You might want to mention which carburetors are being used.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!