J model parts on '77 1000

More
26 Jan 2008 09:37 #191111 by kzmason
J model parts on '77 1000 was created by kzmason
I am starting to put my '77 1000 motor back together. I also have a '82 1000 J motor that I will be parting out soon. Are there any parts that would be a beneficial swap from the J to the '77?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2008 10:01 #191116 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic J model parts on '77 1000
Well...not directly. The head is a good upgrade for a KZ1000 motor but it takes work to use. Not a lot better as is but has more potential if you want to spend the money on a little clean up port work and install an aftermarket cam chain tower conversion to run KZ cams. The transmission is a better version but, again, takes work to make it work. Trans. needs some bearing swaps and maybe the input shaft(depending on which version you have) to use a KZ clutch basket. Cams have more lift,etc. but are not a direct bolt in. Will need to rework the cam sprockets and will have to have them degreed in. Probably better and easier to just get bigger KZ cams though but that's another option. Most of these are upgrades but unless you are after more power and willing to have some machine work done, buy extra parts needed to swap parts, etc. I'd stay with stock KZ1000 parts...lots simpler and they can be made to work better then stock but with a little work involved.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.