Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 21 Jan 2006 13:07 #19110

• TLH101
  • TLH101's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Down here on the coast, even plastic rusts. I need to strip the corrosion and repaint the pipes on my 650. I saw some DupliColor 1200 degree Hi Heat paint at Wally World. Will this hold-up on my exhaust?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 21 Jan 2006 14:54 #19133

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Here's a link to when I did mine in the Spring: Exhaust Painting

The trick is to do your prep work really well. I wire brushed mine with a Drill attachment. It has started to rust a little already.

Sandblasting and a cleaning with some sort of alcohol cleaner or something.

Do a search as this has been discussed many times. It may even mention in my above linked post.

Give us some pics when your done. Happy spraying.

:pinch:
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 21 Jan 2006 16:17 #19142

• gas
  • User
TLH101 wrote:

Down here on the coast, even plastic rusts. I need to strip the corrosion and repaint the pipes on my 650. I saw some DupliColor 1200 degree Hi Heat paint at Wally World. Will this hold-up on my exhaust?

No, that stuff didn't last a season for me and I preped quite carefully/thoroughly. I'm going high end paint this time.

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 22 Jan 2006 02:15 #19199

• sakiguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Can you get it chromed?
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 22 Jan 2006 09:51 #19255

• BRGMGBGT
  • User
I haven't seen much about this stuff, but looks ideal. It's a paint on cermic coating, you cure it at 500° for an hour then final cure is in use.
I think it comes in "chrome", but you have to polish it to get the luster, and black.
I plan on trying it out when I get that far...:laugh:
Go to this site: www.pendrypowdercoatings.com/shop/
Select: Store, then select 2000° coatings.
I've also seen it on Columbia coatings site, but can't seem to get there at the moment.

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 22 Jan 2006 12:48 #19282

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
TLH, The Duplicolor 1200 degree ceramic paint is semi-useless. I prepped a slightly rusty chrome set of pipes by grinding the heck out of them to roughen using a die grinder then a wire wheel brush and when the Duplicolor (I used aluminum) is applied, it tends to flake and peel almost immediatley.

I talked with some boys who opened a new powdercoat shop north of Bandera on SR173 going towards Kerrville and they have a new powder system that is supposed to be good to 1800 degrees and stands up well to gas/oil and other chemicals. They acid dip chrome and apply this stuff. I am going to take some pipes over to check out their claims. Will let you know how this works as it sounds quite a bit less expensive than Turbocoat and some of the other hi-temp coating places. Recently someone posted they were using a place and I called this place and they wanted $200 to do four head pipes (4 into 2). That will come close to buying a new system.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 22 Jan 2006 16:32 #19324

• xr350guy
  • User
barbecue paint works good, done a few exhausts with that b4

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 22 Jan 2006 18:21 #19346

• BRGMGBGT
  • User
Here's the link to columbia coatings ceramic paint, probably the same stuff as pendry, but they gots pictures.
www.columbiacoatings.com/chromeceramic.htm

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 22 Jan 2006 18:34 #19351

• gas
  • User
It wasn't so much the paint failing, although the header is more of a grey, than the flat black that was sprayed in multiple coats. The real problem was the rust speckling that came out beneath the paint (even with meticulous sanding and wiping down with rubbing alcohol), in a rainy summer. Whatever coating that I reapply this year has to be be secondary to preventing this rerusting problem. I could put Peruvian monkey snot on it and it won't help if I'm still rusting underneath.

Need to Repaint My REALLY Ugly Exhaust 22 Jan 2006 20:40 #19400

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have some rusty pipes on mine they used to be chrome, they would probably clean up with massive steelwooling but I'm going to try a rust converter on them. This stuff turns the metal black but I don't know how it reacts to heat, maybe I should try it on the exhaust on my car first and see what happens, let ya know

• Page: