Spark Plug Repair Kit Size

• easyrider305
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jan 2008 12:06 #191013 by easyrider305
Spark Plug Repair Kit Size was created by easyrider305
I stripped the spark plug threads in the head and now am trying to get an insert kit, the only catch is I'm unsure of whether I need the 12x1.25 kit or the 14x1.25 kit. It's a 82 KZ305B and I'm using NGK D7EA spark plugs. Also I've heard that the helicoil kits tend to back themselves out after you remove the spark plug a few times and want to know if you think thread-lock would be ok to use. Thanks for any help and suggestions. I just figured out how to let people write replys, sorry.

Post edited by: easyrider305, at: 2008/01/26 05:01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2008 05:53 #191085 by Saki Jockey
Replied by Saki Jockey on topic Spark Plug Repair Kit Size
You'll need the 12x1.25 size.

ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=3708

Permatex has many weapons in its arsenal. Read up and pick what suits your need the best.

Be sure not to overtorque, spark plugs with gaskets are to be spun in by hand and then given a half turn.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

More
26 Jan 2008 06:02 #191086 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Spark Plug Repair Kit Size
Likely you have only damaged the first thread or two. I had the same thing happen on my Z1R. The problem with cutting threads is that the shavings drop directly into the motor. I hunted around and found a tool called a Back-Tap, this tool is inserted into the spark plug hole and then expanded, you then simply turn the tool back out and it repairs the damaged threads.......trust me this tool worked like a charm!!!! I paid $39 for this tool and it saved me a load of cash and aggrivation.