Kz650d won't start

More
24 Jan 2008 17:36 #190901 by Afrosemite
Kz650d won't start was created by Afrosemite
Just got a '78 kz650d sr. I started and rode the bike before I bought it but now that I've got it home of course it won't work for me. Thought I would see if anyone had some thoughts.
Here's the info:
Bike has pod filters and a 4-1 exhaust on it and was rejetted for high altitude (which I am at.)
Electric start and kick start sound like they ALMOST want to work but it doesnt really turn over or sputter. Even a rolling start down hill only got it to rumble for maybe half a second before it died.
Any ideas? I could just take it to a shop but the local place I trust doesnt have a spot until next week so i thought I would fiddle with it over the weekend.
I haven't checked for a spark because I don't have a spark tester and wasn't sure if I could just hold the plug and look at it (done it on lawnmower before.)
I have tried leaving the petcok on prime for a while and starting it, but I get nothing..
Grrrrr

\'78 Kz650d sr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2008 17:51 #190908 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Kz650d won't start
Remove spark plugs (replace if bad) and with wire attached, lay on cylinder head and crank. Look for nice blue spark. Make sure your getting fuel to carbs, let us know... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
24 Jan 2008 17:52 #190909 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Kz650d won't start
plugs could be fouled.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
24 Jan 2008 17:57 #190911 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic Kz650d won't start
Can't tell if I should be hoping for the spark or not =) For some reason tearing apart carbs scares me.
I just don't get how it would work in Colorado but not in New Mexico... Maybe it fears change. I'll check the plugs though and hope they are just fouled.
is there any easy way to tell the carbs are getting fuel? I've got a manual coming in a couple of days so I can probably dial back the dumb questions at that point

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
24 Jan 2008 18:43 #190917 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Kz650d won't start
Don't worry about the dumb questions, we ask them all the time! :woohoo: If the bike ran before, it should run now. How long has it been sitting? Here's a dumb question... does it have gas in the tank? If you have spark, replace plugs if fouled. Make sure you have plenty of gas in tank and try to start. You can check for gas by removing a drain plug from carb bowel or removing gas line and turning to prime. You should have a vacuum petcock? Make sure vacuum line working properly. (yes, prime will by pass vacuum) Make sure battery fully charged. By the way... we like pictures, lots of pictures! And I'll start you off in KZR fasion by highly recommending the WG coil mod. Almost everyone here has done it with great results for $10 or so. What is it you say? Wired George is the carb guru here and came up with a fantastic coil mod. Here is the link to check it out.

WG coil mod

P.S. Put your year, make, model and location in your signature line, helps us help you!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/01/24 21:45

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
24 Jan 2008 18:49 #190919 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Kz650d won't start
Welcome to KZr Afrosemite.

Rule of thumb is to check the simple stuff first before starting to tear things apart:

Is the kill switch knob in the "RUN/ON" position?

Is the ignition switch in the "ON" position?

When pushing the starter button, are you holding the clutch lever in (it has a switch that prevents it from starting unless held in)?

When trying to kick start it, are you holding the clutch lever in (holding it in prevents the kick shaft from turning the engine over)?

I know these sound like no-brainers, but there are quite a few of us (myself included:whistle:) who have fallen victim to some, if not all of these.

We're all here to help. :)

When you get the chance, please remember to update your profile to show where you're located (there might be other KZr members near you for group rides or help wrenching), and what bike(s) you have (this way everyone knows what bike you're refering to if you have questions).

I almost forgot!
We're junkies for bike pics here, so please post some of your bike. B)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
24 Jan 2008 18:52 #190922 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Kz650d won't start
Can you put a location on your info tag. I have a feeling you are in Colorado.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
24 Jan 2008 18:57 #190925 by kzwolfsr
and get new spark plugs

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
24 Jan 2008 21:40 #190943 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic Kz650d won't start
Unfortunately for me, it's not any of the obvious stuff. I am going to try and check for a spark tomorrow then work from there. Also, you guess I'm in CO? No, but I did just bring this bike back from there. How did you guess? also, sparkplugs?
Also, pictures will be forthcoming.. . .as soon as it is running =)

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
25 Jan 2008 05:37 #190964 by kzwolfsr
I had the same problem as you and it was just my sparkplugs. They always seem to die as soon as it leaves the previous owner. Happened to me twice and alot of the bikes that need jetting here in colorado are jetted for "high altitude" as u said it.