tune up

More
24 Jan 2008 16:17 #190879 by squints
tune up was created by squints
If I dropped my bike off at the shop (which I hope not too any time soon) and said "Give her a good tune-up," what would they do.

What type of thing would a shop do to my bike for a tune up? synch carbs, top off fluids, grease things that need to be greased... is there something more I'm missing?

what else would they check/do?

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2008 17:12 #190892 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic tune up
Which bike. If it was the older 650 it would be spark plugs change oil and filter, change air filter check brake fluid and brake pads, grease up your swingarm if they knew about the zerk fitting there on the swing arm air up the tires and possibly redo your chain tension in the engine and lube your chain. I used to work at a bike service place, but never did anything, I just watchedOn you 1000 there is no zerk on the swingarm and the cam chain self adjusts and check air pressure on forks if you have that set up on yours also. I work on my own 2 bikes and you have the same combo as me so as I do for mine I would do for yours

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
24 Jan 2008 17:17 #190893 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic tune up
I've owned my bike for 28 years and am a mechanic. So I've never taken it to a shop but would think that you might have to be specific as to what you want done. Or better yet let them explain what a "tune up" consists of. Then add things as needed. Are there any members that live near you? We are all willing to help each other and save money too!;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
24 Jan 2008 19:00 #190926 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic tune up
Bluemeanie is right, have them provide a list BEFORE letting them touch it. I've done all my own tune-ups since my bike was new (April '77) and among other things I lube timing advancer, install new points & condensor (of course, check & adjust timing), plugs, carb synch, check valve clearances (this has remained unbelievably constant), replace or clean air and inline fuel filters, and adjust timing chain tensioner. I do this stuff roughly every 5,000 miles. I change the fork oil and brake fluid every 2 years. Other items such as lubing and/or adjusting drive chain, lubing swing arm, changing oil&filter, etc. I do more often. Once you've performed these maintenance tasks a couple times they become very simple and do not seem to be such a big deal. Get the correct Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your specific model before you start. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Jan 2008 09:11 #191254 by squints
Replied by squints on topic tune up
oops the 1000 Im talking about.

With the exception of checking valves and synching carbs I have be doing everything mentioned so far. I just always thought there was more that I was missing. :silly:

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

More
27 Jan 2008 10:54 #191273 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic tune up
Give you a bill for 650.00 bucks

More
27 Jan 2008 10:55 #191274 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic tune up
delete double post

Post edited by: hwms, at: 2008/01/27 13:56

More
28 Jan 2008 11:38 #191437 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic tune up
squints wrote:

If I dropped my bike off at the shop (which I hope not too any time soon) and said "Give her a good tune-up," what would they do.

With instructions that vague, they will empty your wallet: probably oil, filter, plugs, valve adjust, clean/rebuild/sync carburetors for starters.

1979 KZ-750 Twin