Newbie with KZ750 Spectre. Parts and manual?

More
20 Jan 2008 18:10 #190278 by patrat
I was just given a KZ750 Spectre, and am getting it road ready. I have not been able to determine if it is a 1982 or 1983, and can't find info on the differences. This bike is the shaft drive 4 cylinder, I have seen something about a twin.

Which is the best manual for a DIY mechanic, Clymers, Haynes, or other? Is there a downloadable or electronic version anywhere (I prefer to print the pages I am using only)?

Which vendor is best for maintenance and restoration items? At the moment I am looking for air and oil filter, as well as engine oil and rear end oil. What quantity and weight of oil does the bike take?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2008 18:53 #190289 by JR
Welcome patrat
Nice one ;) getting a no charge 750 Spectre !

I like the Haynes manual. Other will prefer the Clymers. You can download a factory manual for the chain drive version here www.mbsween.com/kz750l3/index.html

I dont think it covers the spectre/shaft drive but there should be a lot of similarities. If you can get a factory manual that is probably best.

As for parts look at the green bar up above and click on vendor directory for a selection of suppliers. A lot of us here also use ebay as many parts are no longer available. www.kawasaki.com also has great parts diagrams. Go to Owner info, parts diagrams select bike, select 750 etc etc. for the year select 1982 - trust me on this.

Regarding oil I'm partial to Castrol GTX 10 - 40w but there are several threads on oil - do a search. Most but not all will agree that you should stay away from synthetic oil or oil with friction modifiers.

How about some photos of your freebie 750 Spectre ????

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
01 Mar 2008 22:55 #197862 by patrat
Many thanks for the link to the downloadable manual, it is better than the Kawasaki Spectre service manual I purchased.

I have it running now, enough so to ride around the block. Unfortunately it "idles" at 5-6krpm, no choke. I am pretty sure the rubber manifold boots are shot, so will probably be ordering some on Monday. Right now its pretty unsafe to ride, as it pulls itself up to 20mph minimum speed. Can't wait to get riding!

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
03 Mar 2008 10:49 #198147 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Newbie with KZ750 Spectre. Parts and manual?
This might be helpful to you, or maybe just entertaining...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"