76 kz 900 rebuild help

More
20 Jan 2008 17:20 #190269 by jdhix
76 kz 900 rebuild help was created by jdhix
hello there guys. i have a 76 kz 900 with 20000 miles on it and i am going to do a rebuild of the motor and was wondering what you guys could tell me about a good solid rebuild patrs combo for a mild performance upgrade would be i am going to the 1015 wisco pistons and have the head redone completely at a repuitable shop here in nd. they do alot of kz motors but are hesitant to offer insite on parts combos i am wondering about the cam what would you think would be a good choice or should i stay with the stock ones? i have the carbs jetted already. i might have to up them again i realize but just looking for a good solid street bike to have fun with. thanks for the help and sorry for being so long winded

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2008 18:40 #190283 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 76 kz 900 rebuild help
id suggest finding a good kz1000 block and sleeves and boring it to 1075.the problem with running the 1015 kit in the 900 sleeves is there is not enough meat left in them keep the rings sealed and they tend to overheat.unless you want to put bigger sleeves in the 900 block,but if you do that you might as well build an 1197.as far as the rest of the motor i always reccomend a good bottem end so you can always build up the top side later without having to split the cases again.weld the crank pins,new cam chain and a good thorough inspection is usually all thats neededB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Jan 2008 18:51 #190287 by jdhix
Replied by jdhix on topic 76 kz 900 rebuild help
ok well i am having a hard time finding parts i do have another 900 spare motor and was planing to use it for parts do you think i should just use a smaller bore or would a sleve kit be thhe way to go? do i have to do any case mods with the larger kit? thanks i really appreciate the info on this i have had the bike for 5 years got it dirt cheap and love it its in very good condition too. thanks

More
21 Jan 2008 00:28 #190319 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic 76 kz 900 rebuild help
I would also advise building the bottom end and look around for a set of 1015 jugs. You can get them on ebay for dirt cheap. You can have them bored up to 1197cc's without having to bore the cases. But with that size you might have cooling issues in the summer. If you want to do it on the cheap go with a stock 1015 set up and save up your money for the bigger kit.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
21 Jan 2008 08:24 #190341 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 76 kz 900 rebuild help
you will need to clearance the top case for bigger sleeves,but its no big deal once cases are apart;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
21 Jan 2008 14:56 #190384 by jdhix
i really appreciate all the help guys i have had the bike for years and love it so i figured what the heck lets give it a little more oomph and the motor is getting weak so i have to do some more exploring as to what to do i really thank you for all the help as i am really just learning what is out there and trying to make sence of the vast amount of parts
thanks

More
22 Jan 2008 02:05 #190439 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic 76 kz 900 rebuild help
jdhix wrote:

hello there guys. i have a 76 kz 900 with 20000 miles on it and i am going to do a rebuild of the motor and was wondering what you guys could tell me about a good solid rebuild patrs combo for a mild performance upgrade would be i am going to the 1015 wisco pistons and have the head redone completely at a repuitable shop here in nd.

A 1015 would be a great choice for a 900. APE has a 1015 kit with piston, cams and valve springs for under $850. kzzone.com/kits.html

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2008/01/22 05:19
Attachments:

More
22 Jan 2008 12:46 #190484 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic 76 kz 900 rebuild help
donthekawguy wrote:

I would also advise building the bottom end and look around for a set of 1015 jugs. You can get them on ebay for dirt cheap. You can have them bored up to 1197cc's without having to bore the cases. But with that size you might have cooling issues in the summer. If you want to do it on the cheap go with a stock 1015 set up and save up your money for the bigger kit.

You can not go 1197 in a 1015 block without resleeving. The cases DO need to be bored.

Jay

More
22 Jan 2008 22:47 #190605 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic 76 kz 900 rebuild help
jdhix wrote:

i really appreciate all the help guys i have had the bike for years and love it so i figured what the heck lets give it a little more oomph and the motor is getting weak so i have to do some more exploring as to what to do i really thank you for all the help as i am really just learning what is out there and trying to make sence of the vast amount of parts
thanks

If you want to finish your project properly a decent port job will finish you off nicely. A good small bore is hard to beat all-around for street and is less likely to be a "leaker" which many "big liners" are. Talk to Larry Cavanaugh about a good port job. www.flowbenchtech.com/porting/CRH/
Attachments:

More
24 Jan 2008 17:45 #190905 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic 76 kz 900 rebuild help
a 1175 is the most i would reccomend for any summer heat, less if your stuck in traffic alot.

nothing rounds out a DD kaw like a 1075 kit, just stay away from the 12:1 kit.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
25 Jan 2008 17:50 #191052 by jdhix
thanks guys i am trying to learn all the in's and out's of this to make a good decision i really appreciate all the info