Shortening Mufflers - What's Inside?

More
20 Jan 2008 16:23 #190264 by HerrDeacon
Shortening Mufflers - What's Inside? was created by HerrDeacon
I'm in the process of cafe'ing my '78 650 and since I'm on a bit of a tight budget I can't afford a new exhaust system this year so I've decided to make the stock one look as good as possible. Problem is that it's in hard shape: dents, rust, etc. For the headers I'm going to wrap them. The mufflers are not in too bad a shape except for the last few inches of them. They have some major dents at the ends.

So, I'm planning on cutting off the last seven inches of the mufflers and I'm wondering what is inside the mufflers? I'm thinking that after I cut them I'll need to fab up a plate for the ends but thought I would ask what is inside the muffler. Will there be anything for me to screw new end plates into or will I need to weld them in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2008 18:40 #190282 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Shortening Mufflers - What's Inside?
Here is a diagram for the KZ650 muffler, if you have a SR the muffler will be shorter but I would think similer inside. Arrows show exhaust flow. Good luck and take pics of work, sounds interesting!

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/01/20 21:42

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2008/01/20 21:42

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2008 03:38 #190323 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Shortening Mufflers - What's Inside?
Excellent, thank you very much for posting the pic Bluemeanie. Yeah, I have an SR, so the end of my muffler doesn't have the cap that the one in the pic does. However, mine has an end piece that is attached by three allen head screws. I removed the screws but the piece won't come off. Hopeing it would so that I could get a better idea of what's in there.

Looking at the diagram, I may try to cut away a bit at a time to see if I can end it at one of those Partition Walls.

Thanks again.

More
21 Jan 2008 03:39 #190324 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Shortening Mufflers - What's Inside?
Excellent, thank you very much for posting the pic Bluemeanie. Yeah, I have an SR, so the end of my muffler doesn't have the cap that the one in the pic does. However, mine has an end piece that is attached by three allen head screws. I removed the screws but the piece won't come off. Hopeing it would so that I could get a better idea of what's in there.

Looking at the diagram, I may try to cut away a bit at a time to see if I can end it at one of those Partition Walls.

Thanks again.