Will it RUN like an APE ????

More
20 Jan 2008 05:39 #190182 by Heavy- Z
Will it RUN like an APE ???? was created by Heavy- Z
i was thinking about APE engine mods for my 78 kz1000a.
any info would be great. What do i need to raz the modern sportbike riders a little. Not looking to drag just killer street performance, maybe yank the wheel up once in a great while as well without excessive overheating.
what kind of hp??? stock versus an ape. 1200 kit or ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
20 Jan 2008 06:03 #190188 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Will it RUN like an APE ????
u said heat. that brings limitations’ have an 1135cc motor all done and don’t have worry about heat. That being said , i don’t live in the city or drive in traffic. if u get to 1200 and up u need to be aware of your temps and avoid stop and go. from what i hear from guys with big block u can drive them in hot weather as long as u keep moving at a steady pace.
So i think the first thing u need to do is asses how u NEED to use your bike.
if u what to make the max hp. u would consider using a gpz head first , j head second, kz head with big valves 3rd. all would be ported of course.
if u go j or gpz head, u will need pistons that are 12:1 or 13:1 compression, as they have bigger combustion chambers and will reduce the comp.(-2 for j & -2.4 for gpz). this will get u down near 10.5:1 for the pump gas. u will also need a conversion cam chain idler.
if u go big block u may want to consider a mk11 crank($250+ rebuild=$600-$1000) and gpz trany($700?reworked to fit kz) for extra strength insurance and longevity.
I know a guy who is selling a fresh 1260cc cheap . if u are interested ,pm me.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
20 Jan 2008 11:19 #190247 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Will it RUN like an APE ????
for the 1200 i would suggest using a z1 block there tends to be more meat for the bigger sleeves from my experiance and you still have the cooling passages between the cylinders to keep it cool.mk II crank is overkill in my opinion for what you want to do,id suggest a 900 crank with pins welded to help get the jump on them off the line.a stock trans is fine,maybe have the gears back cut.as far as heads go a j or gpz head is fine if you have high compression pistons but a stock kz head with a little bit of porting work will work just as good ,and is harder to spot if you want to get a smaller sportbike on the hook.the cams all depend on what you want to do with the bike the majority of the timeB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Jan 2008 14:22 #190256 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Will it RUN like an APE ????
we build 1075's and bigger all day long.

but remember this
speed cost's money, how fast you want to go?

www.kzkuztums.com/KZXtreme.html

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2008/01/20 17:23

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.