starter clutch for 1981 kz750

More
15 Jan 2008 07:03 #189390 by John Simons
starter clutch for 1981 kz750 was created by John Simons
Hey guys,
I just talked to the dealer and they told me just in parts I'm looking at $360.00. That doesn't include labor. I was wondering if a custom kick start kit could be installed on this bike, and if so where could I get one. By the way, they said labor is a minumum of four hours. This is becoming a nightmare.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2008 07:24 #189392 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic starter clutch for 1981 kz750
Hey John, I feel your pain. My starter clutch went out on my KZ750 too about 10 years ago. They are spendy units to replace so you could always bump start the bike until you can get it fixed. That's what I did for 2 years until I had the money. Plus the lady folk dig it when you come out from a restaurant or whatnot, turn the key, run away from them, bump start the bike and then come back and pick them up. I'm kidding, but my girl friend at the time, now my wife, put up with that for 2+ years.:laugh:
I paid someone to fix the starter clutch the first time because I was too intimidated to do it and the guy only replaced the springs. It broke within 500 miles. So, more pop starting until I decided to fix it myself and bought enough parts to replace what appeared to be worn out. That lasted about 2000 miles. Then I replaced the starter clutch from a parts bike I got for $30 and it is better than my old one was ever.
I like the kick starter idea and thought about adapting a KZ650 kicker to my bike since they share the same bottom end. Just never got around to it with all of my other bike projects.
Anyone ever done it?

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

More
15 Jan 2008 07:30 #189393 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic starter clutch for 1981 kz750
If you look at the listed Kawasaki parts prices, the clutch is like $80, a couple gears at $50 each which are doubtful as bad, springs and various small parts at $5 each or less. I can't see adding to $360 worth of parts even if they shotgunned the whole thing.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.