starter clutch removal for 1981 Kz750

More
14 Jan 2008 20:03 #189325 by John Simons
starter clutch removal for 1981 Kz750 was created by John Simons
Hey guys,
Got a 1981 kz750 and I think the starter clutch is bad. Just replaced the starter brand new. Now when the starter runs, it MIGHT turn over a couple of times and then sounds like it just spins. I did fire the bike up a month ago and the motor sounded great, but I started to notice the problem getting worse. I was wondering, if I attempted to replace this myself, about how long does it take, and does the oil pump and exhaust have to come off. I do have the Klymers manual, but wanted to here from some other 750 riders. I have a dealership near me who has the starter clutch but are there gaskets I need.
The dealership says they can do the job in four hours. Does that sound right? I'd like to do it myself but being that the bike is so old, I'm a little hesitant. Parts can be difficult to find. I've already rebuilt and cleaned the carbs. Replaced the tires. Gas tank has some rust inside, and front calipers need rebuild kits. I did ride the bike this past summer and it sounds good........This bike sat outside,uncovered, for eight years. Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Post edited by: John Simons, at: 2008/01/14 23:08
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2008 21:44 #189343 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic starter clutch removal for 1981 Kz750
Hey John, welcome to the KZ Forums. :) I have the same bike and a shop manual for it. According to the manual it says you have to

1. Remove the mufflers
2. Remove the engine sprocket cover
3. Remove the clutch
4. Remove the oil pump
5. Remove the alternator cover
6. Then remove the screws and pull of the secondary shaft bearing cap
7. Using a rotor holder (special tool) to hold the alternator roter, remove the secondary shaft nut.
8. Tap the secondary shaft from the left side of the crankcase until the right bearing comes out of place
9. Holding the secondary sprocket and starter motor clutch assembly, pull out the secondary shaft.
10. Slip the secondary sprocket and starter motor clutch assembly from the primary chain, and take them out.
11. Remove the secondary shaft gear circlip. Uisn the gear puller and adapter (special tools), pull the secondary shaft gear off the shaft.

Hmmmm, sounds like a lot of work to me. I know it would take me longer than four hours to do it. But, I'd do it myself just to learn more provided I had access to or could buy the tools needed. There might be shortcuts to some of those steps but I can't comment as I haven't actually done that myself.

If you've got the money and trust the mechanics who will work on your bike, it might be worth it to have them do it for you.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
15 Jan 2008 05:41 #189377 by John Simons
Replied by John Simons on topic starter clutch removal for 1981 Kz750
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to make that desicion. It does seem like alot of work, but would like to learn.

More
15 Jan 2008 10:58 #189433 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic starter clutch removal for 1981 Kz750
Onkelb has a write up on changing the starter clutch in this post: starter clutch .
You have to be a member to see the PDF file. I'll try to attach it here:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s