Shifter?clutch? problem

More
10 Jan 2008 19:56 #188649 by old650
Shifter?clutch? problem was created by old650
I repacked the clutch last summer and all is well there. However, prior to and after the repack I have been experiencing these issues: Start bike up, let it warm, pull in clutch, drop it into 1st and I get a BIG LURCH which occaisionaly stalls the bike. I've had this problem get progressively worse over the last two years.

When I start the bike, let it warm, shut it off, pull clutch and drop trans into 1st then back up to neutral, restart bike....I can then drop it into 1st with MUCH less of a jump/twitch/jerk whatever in the driveline. It's like I'm taking up some slack somewhere when I do this.

Also, this last fall I noticed that shifting through the gears has gotten less precise. The shifter now feels a little loose/sloppy, particulary in the lower gears.

Anyone have these symtoms before and what was your cure? My clutch MAY not be properly/perfectly adjusted although I dought it. I will rule nothing out and I'm all ears as to suggestions on what to check. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2008 20:29 #188661 by flrcreations
Replied by flrcreations on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
On mine.
On the left side cove for the clutch is a small cover where the clutch adjust is. This adjustment changes how the pushrod opens and closes the friction plate. It seems that the rod is not pushing the plate completely free of the clutch. That is where I would start.

More
10 Jan 2008 20:40 #188665 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
Does it only do this the first time you shift from neutral to 1st? If so, try this: before you start the bike put it in 1st gear, pull in the clutch, and rock it or push down on the kicker. If your clutch plates are sticking after sitting for an extended period of time (hours) this should break them free and eliminate the problem when you start the bike. Did you use Kawasaki clutch parts or aftermarket? I owned a BSA with a factory competition engine that had this problem because the friction plates would stick to the aluminum clutch plates after the bike sat overnight. I've never had the problem with my KZ650C1, but I only use Kawasaki parts. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Jan 2008 21:22 #188672 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
adjust your clutch at the lever and see if the lurching stops, otherwise try like flrcreations said.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
11 Jan 2008 17:55 #188772 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
Beware for that has happened to me. Your clutch cable is about to go out. mine did! No matter how much adjustment you make, it's not going to save you. I just had to make that sound so dramatic. Check your clutch cable, it can also be rusty.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
11 Jan 2008 19:27 #188786 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
Two summers ago I had a weekend of the lurches. Every time I put the bike into first it would lurch and usually stall. I adjusted the screw and locknut under the little left hand cover close on a dozen times over a Sunday afternoon and eventually got it right. Very frustrating.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
18 Jan 2008 00:23 #189867 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
JR wrote:

Two summers ago I had a weekend of the lurches. Every time I put the bike into first it would lurch and usually stall. I adjusted the screw and locknut under the little left hand cover close on a dozen times over a Sunday afternoon and eventually got it right. Very frustrating.

Thanks JR. Maybe I really don't have it all adjusted properly. I did pop a cable and put an old factory junker on temporarily, although I lubed the heck out of it. I'll get a new cable/lube up and try multiple adjustments. I'll crack that FSM and go by the numbers. Thanks all, I'll try the alternatives if the simplest fix doesn't work.

More
18 Jan 2008 15:48 #189981 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
Lets hope it's something simple and you're spared opening the clutch basket.
Good luck :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
18 Jan 2008 16:44 #189993 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
flrcreations wrote:

On mine.
On the left side cove for the clutch is a small cover where the clutch adjust is. This adjustment changes how the pushrod opens and closes the friction plate. It seems that the rod is not pushing the plate completely free of the clutch. That is where I would start.

same problem on mine: I ended up buying a new "bellcrank" piece or whatever you call the lever that twists the helix that pushes in the rod. BTW: make sure the lever is at a right angle to the cable in the area where it is trying to depress the clutch rod. That gives max leverage and maximum "depression" of the rod end.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Jan 2008 16:45 #189994 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Shifter?clutch? problem
650ed wrote:

Does it only do this the first time you shift from neutral to 1st? If so, try this: before you start the bike put it in 1st gear, pull in the clutch, and rock it or push down on the kicker. If your clutch plates are sticking after sitting for an extended period of time (hours) this should break them free and eliminate the problem when you start the bike.

I used to hold the clutch in and blip the throttle, wait a few seconds and blip the throttle.... do this maybe four times and it would free up the clutch. YMMV

1979 KZ-750 Twin