troubles with kz550 starting

More
08 Jan 2008 13:48 #188298 by cphillips83
troubles with kz550 starting was created by cphillips83
hello all, i have a 1983 kz550 ltd. i recently have been doing work on the carbs by cleaning them out and all. problem is that i can't start the bike unless i jump start it from 1st gear. this sounds like an electrical problem to me but i am a carpenter and not a mechanic. just wondering if i am thinking along the right lines or not. oh and all the spark plugs are brand new and gapped properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2008 15:09 #188310 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic troubles with kz550 starting
How fresh is your battery? If it is not fully charged, is may be that using the electric starter doesn't leave much juice left for the ignition system. When my battery is a bit run down from sitting, the bike will start easily with the kick starter even when the electric starter will crank the engine but not start it. This may be the same effect your experiencing by push starting your bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Jan 2008 18:35 #188327 by Aric
Replied by Aric on topic troubles with kz550 starting
So are you saying when you push the starter button, while depressing the clutch handle, the stater does not engage? I would imagine if it's like my '82 it has no kick start pedal, hence the pushing, correct? How long has it been since it ran? Could be any number of things.
First thing I'd check is your ground connections and positive terminal to the starter , if the battery is good ( check it). If you pulled the carbs out it is very possible you knocked something loose during removal or installation.

Next check all your fuses.

Check your relays if equipped.

If none of that, dissasemble your starter switch on the handlebars and check for corrosion, bad connections, etc.

That's all I got, I'm just a carpenter too!:P

I'd bet on knocking a wire something loose during carb removal though if the starter worked before.