82 kz1000 m2 won't turn over

• flrcreations
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2007 17:29 #187164 by flrcreations
Replied by flrcreations on topic 82 kz1000 m2 won't turn over
Got sidetracked awhile today and cleaned the garage before working on the bike again. Anyway.... 1 and 4 TDC (top dead center). Ignition again with T1 verticle and F at index. Cams in and square. 44 pins between in and out. Decides to take starter apart. Starter does not have carbon build up inside. 1/2" long brushes. Stator had some black residue built up so I cleaned that off. Still got nothing. Seems like the stater does not have enough to spin things fast to get it started. Anyway of a starter to go bad other than the stator or brushes? Should I dig into the engine deeper and see if anything is bound up? Even te most outlandish things will be considered....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
31 Dec 2007 18:14 #187168 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic 82 kz1000 m2 won't turn over
flrcreations wrote:

My concern is that nothing moves but the ignition advance when I turn the ignition side with a 17mm socket.

This is the part that has me confused. Are you saying that when you turn the ignition side with a 17mm socket, the ignition turns, but the cams don't? Am I reading that wrong?

West Linn, OR

More
31 Dec 2007 18:23 #187170 by NickW900LTD
Replied by NickW900LTD on topic 82 kz1000 m2 won't turn over
i never used the 17mm socket, i used the kick starter to turn motor.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)
1977 KZ1000 LTD
1978 KZ1000 A2A

Pierceton, Indiana USA

• flrcreations
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2007 23:47 #187190 by flrcreations
too new for a kick start, and yes, if I turn if from the ignition advance side (right side) the cams do not move. If I turn the alternator (left side) everything including cams and chain and crank and ignition moves accordingly. I cannot push start as it is only motor and rolling chassis, no gas tank. Yes it is getting gas into the cylinders and vacuums it up from the gas can on the floor. I put the can on the floor after flooding it by having it too high before. The only other thing I can think of doing is putting it on the center stand and pulling my other bike behind it, taking off the other fender, and trying a stationary rolling start by strapping the two together.

More
01 Jan 2008 08:31 #187207 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 kz1000 m2 won't turn over
flrcreations wrote:

... if I turn it from the ignition advance side (right side) the cams do not move. If I turn the alternator (left side) everything including cams and chain and crank and ignition moves accordingly....

When turning the alternator (left side) moves everything (including cams and chain and crank and ignition), does the #4 (far right) piston move? And how is such #4 piston movement evidenced?

While turning the alternator (left side) and moving everything (including cams and chain and crank and ignition), can the crankshaft end on the ignition side be held stationary without movement (while everything else is moving)?

A camchain sprocket is located in the middle of the crankshaft. If the crankshaft itself is intact, moving the crankshaft from either end also moves the camchain sprocket.

Thinking maybe the bolt and/or 17mm "nut" on ignition (righthand side) end of crankshaft are turning, but without turning the crankshaft. Perhaps threads on the bolt that screws into the end of the crankshaft on the ignition (right hand) are stripped. Or threads inside the crankshaft end are stripped. Or the 17mm "nut" is damaged so that it is not holding in place against the end of the crankshaft. Or the end of the crankshaft is damaged and preventing the 17mm "nut" from holding.

Am hoping the crankshaft itself is not damaged.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• flrcreations
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jan 2008 17:46 #187686 by flrcreations
Checked things over a little closer on the ignition side last night. The 17mm is actually a nut that turns the disc of the timing. Inside of the nut is a 12mm bolt that tightens everything up. I tightened the 12mm bolt and now when I turn the 17mm bolt, everything (cams, crank, chain) turns. Should I TDC the pistons and loosen the 12mm bolt to turn the ignition advance or take the cams off and TDC the pistons, then the ignition, then the cams? The cams and pistons are on TDC sync right now.

More
04 Jan 2008 22:28 #187720 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic 82 kz1000 m2 won't turn over
if your having problems with the electric starter not being able to spin it over fast enought use the kicker!

and swap the black/green wires around on the coils to see if it starts.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
04 Jan 2008 22:55 #187721 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic 82 kz1000 m2 won't turn over
themachine wrote:

if your having problems with the electric starter not being able to spin it over fast enought use the kicker!

M2--"J" Engine = no kicker. :(

West Linn, OR