gpz750 intake boots and oil cooler

More
26 Dec 2007 10:20 #186432 by eel
hey guys.. putting an 810 kit in my bike and just brought the motor inside the house to work on it.

i bought new aftermarket intake boots for the bike last summer. 3/4 of them are cracked on the inside like where the screws hold them down.. looks like from the compression the rubber is busting out or something.. is this common? am i better off to buy new boots again or just remove the rubber? pic attached:

also..

I want to remove the alternator and race the bike without it. does the middle of the crankshaft have an oil gallery? what i mean is will i have to plug the rotor bolt hole ?

i also want to increase the oil cooler size since this is a track bike and gets flogged regularly. alot of aftermarket oil coolers are expensive! is there a bigger one from another kawi model that will just drop in? --- it LOOKS like the ZR750 one will bolt right on with lines and all?

cool thanks!

Post edited by: eel, at: 2007/12/26 13:21

Post edited by: eel, at: 2007/12/26 15:26

Post edited by: eel, at: 2007/12/26 15:27

1984 GPz750
2007 ZX6R
53-Racing.com - My Website
My GPz
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2007 12:01 #186445 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic gpz750 intake boots and oil cooler
There are three distinct types of Kaw carb holders. They all work with a BS34 but the lip edge is different so if you are using the wrong one relative to the carburetors you are using, then the carb holders will crack ESPECIALLY if you use pod air filters where all the weight of the carb assembly is hanging unsupported.

Figure out WHICH BS34 type you are using and buy the correct carb holders. www.z1enterprises.com carries them all I suspect. Then, if you are using pods, tie the whole carb assembly up by running a wire around the assembly and the frame up where the front of the seat sits.

As far as your oil journal question, dunno for sure but I don't think the hole is a journal on any of the larger displacement KZs.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Dec 2007 12:17 #186450 by eel
Replied by eel on topic gpz750 intake boots and oil cooler
the carbs are supported since i have an airbox.. the cracks are on the top and bottom (mostly bottom) of the boots on the motor side, not the carb side... so dont see how it is a carb issue ?

FWIW the boots (old ones) that had been on thebike for years had the same problems but actually had chunks out of them (not sure where those went
:silly:

1984 GPz750
2007 ZX6R
My GPz

More
26 Dec 2007 12:24 #186457 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic gpz750 intake boots and oil cooler
I can't say about your GPZ, but the 1976 750 twin I had spit (lots of)oil right out the end of the crank all over my buddy's Hond@ when we fired it up!

:laugh:

I think it was marking it's territory!

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
26 Dec 2007 12:27 #186458 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic gpz750 intake boots and oil cooler
Not sure where the chunks went? Bwhahahaha I am pretty sure I can guess.

I have seen the wrong holders used relative to the type of BS34 and that is what it has done. Most times, this combo is used with pods and I put some of the damage on unsupported weight from using pods but I suspect much of the damage is because of the non-matched shape of the throat area.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 Dec 2007 13:46 #186754 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic gpz750 intake boots and oil cooler
there are some nice coolers on ebay right now in parts/accesories/Kz 1000

More
29 Dec 2007 04:37 #186825 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic gpz750 intake boots and oil cooler
So far my experimentation with the ZR7 parts has been successful, to the point that I would be willing to be that their oil cooler will bolt right up. If I needed one, I would go with it.

I have done the starter and rear shock so far, and am willing to be that most of the actual motor parts are updated versions of ours. Tranny may be different, due to the clutch.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
29 Dec 2007 09:49 #186847 by eel
Replied by eel on topic gpz750 intake boots and oil cooler
awesome, thanks gpzrox!!

1984 GPz750
2007 ZX6R
My GPz