HP estimate 1015 kit

More
31 Dec 2007 20:09 #187172 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic HP estimate 1015 kit
It is really not a problem to make a small bore Z give a sportbike "fits" on the street if you can ride it and it's a short race. Regardless of what the mags say the reallity is an average rider will not run 10s on any 600. A smallbore Z can be made to run 10s pretty easy with the chassis set-up properly and you can ride.

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2007/12/31 23:35
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• madkawltd900
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Dec 2007 22:43 #187187 by madkawltd900
Replied by madkawltd900 on topic HP estimate 1015 kit
I have a very long, straight, and wide highway out in front of my house so I have an excellent area to do some "test and tune". I obviously have some of the sport bike riders curiosity aroused around here because more and more of them that live here in the area have been out trolling around the house probably looking to challenge me. Its only a matter of time before a street confrontation happens. My bike was modified when I bought it. Other than the visually obvious, I cant verify the mods that the former owner claimed it had. I was told by the former owner that the head had been worked on, "valve job" and it had performance cams in it. He also said that the husband of Pops Yoshimura's grand daughter had built that motor. I dont even know who this guy is or if he's a good mechanic, or if the claim is even true. What I do know however, is that the bulk of this bikes power is made well above the 9k factory redline. As a matter of fact, I was following a car today at 80mph and downshifted to third and cracked the throttle wide open and went around that car fast as hell. I looked down at the tach and It was past 11k. I had installed a 14 tooth front spocket which raises the cruise rpm. I thought perhaps that it would lower my top speed but so far I have only gained more top speed because with the stock 15 tooth sprocket it took too long to get the bike to rev to the range where it really makes its power. For all I know this thing could have a 1015 kit already in it. The guy only mentioned to me that he had it recently re ringed not if it was the original bore size. He also mentioned that the head had been shaved also. Ive tried to use a compression tester to estimate cylinder pressure to see what kind of compression that im running but all my numbers seem excessive low. and I mean to low for the bike to even run. I know the rings aint shot or valves leaking because I dont have any power loss. I guess ill drive it till it blows then build it myself. at least then Ill know where I stand.

More
01 Jan 2008 00:00 #187191 by jagrider
Replied by jagrider on topic HP estimate 1015 kit
I have 77 kz1000 1175cc that run 10s all day with front gearing 16 rear 40, I put about $4400 in the motor. I have 05 ZX12 and the KZ will kicking in the 1/4 mile. I have fun with sports bike - riding with them they always try to take off but I stay right there not passing them but just right there. I have also a zx7 94 with zx9 race motor on that.KZ I'm running 525 chain The bike is listed here under ( jagrider ) The fasties I been on the bike is 156 miles hour and then back off to much wind trying to take my head off. You can do funny things with these motors. 1 thing about sport bike they are lighter and rev happy up up though go that's where most lose on the take off - the KZ just go's about 2" front wheel off the ground. I paid $75.00 for the bike and went over the hole bike.I re-gear the bike now for more street and long miles over the winter. The kz I have is very good in the turns and hold it's own with the bike's I have follow. A lot have to do with the rider and how the bike is set up. I never had my bikes byno for hp I check my time cards from Budds Creek Race Way in MD. 1/4 time 10:07:24 the bike always in the low tens.I got mid 9s 4 times on pump gas with 16/40 gearing.a lot of the items I use in the motor was made
Ti rods cleave's bearing and more. I put little than I
thought in to the bike $6200.00. - If can I would go 1100cc to 1175cc this is and no over heating. I run 12.5 piston, on the street riding 2 heat range cooler spark plugs.I had a guy on a Kz1000 last summer pull up to me at light I'm on my ZX12 pips chip and timing
dun on my bike. He look at me and said lets go I thought this was funny he beat me to the next light buy 2 cars I just would have like to road off and hope no 1 seen this.He told me the bike is 76 kz900 with motor work.So I started last year looking bought 1 and did some playing around with the motor at my friends speed shop.Any 1 would like to buy a 05 blue ZX12. I'm KZ mad man now. I have taken the bike on long 600 miles rides no over heating.

jagriderB)

Post edited by: jagrider, at: 2008/01/01 11:19

Post edited by: jagrider, at: 2008/01/01 11:23

Loud pipes save lives.
Attachments:

More
01 Jan 2008 05:09 #187199 by modprod
madkawltd900 wrote:

What would be an accurate HP estimate for a 900 engine with a standard wiseco 1015 kit (10:25:1) APE 410 cams, stock unported head with 29mm smoothbores and V&H header?

If you want to know how quick your bike/rider combination "really is", only the dragstrip will reveal that "reality". The dyno or the street does not. Take it to the track!

Attachments:

More
01 Feb 2008 22:16 #192294 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic HP estimate 1015 kit
modprod wrote:

madkawltd900 wrote:

What would be an accurate HP estimate for a 900 engine with a standard wiseco 1015 kit (10:25:1) APE 410 cams, stock unported head with 29mm smoothbores and V&H header?

If you want to know how quick your bike/rider combination "really is", only the dragstrip will reveal that "reality". The dyno or the street does not. Take it to the track!

you running a slick n bars with a slider or lock up?(damn good 60')

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
02 Feb 2008 00:21 #192313 by modprod
Slick and bars, stock clutch. Lock-ups or Sliders are a waste on these "little motors". This bike ran 9s as a 1015 25 years ago. As a 1045 ran bests of 9.39 @ 138 in 1986 and 5.87 @ 116 with a 1.28 60 in 1992 in the 1/8th carrying 640#
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2008 00:36 #192317 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic HP estimate 1015 kit
wiredgeorge wrote:

Sandy, I trust with the long winter up there, you will have time to get the bike on a dyno and shed some real light on this subject. I have seen several KZ1000s get dyno'd (good running stock bikes) and their owners were always shocked to be in the low to mid 60s HP. I may be wrong but I think 120 is very optimistic for any streetable KZ but I guess it depends on the definition of streetable. I am guessing that you mid-compression, street cam bike does run a bunch better than a stocker. Get her dyno'd and let us know.

im guessing it depends on if you are talking at the crank or at the rear wheel.my 1327 was dynoed at around 127 hp at rear wheel with a junk rear tire that kept breaking loose,but it runs 13:1 pistons a really good head and 38 flatslides to accomplish itB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
02 Feb 2008 00:58 #192320 by PLUMMEN
madkawltd900 wrote:

I have a very long, straight, and wide highway out in front of my house so I have an excellent area to do some "test and tune". I obviously have some of the sport bike riders curiosity aroused around here because more and more of them that live here in the area have been out trolling around the house probably looking to challenge me. Its only a matter of time before a street confrontation happens. My bike was modified when I bought it. Other than the visually obvious, I cant verify the mods that the former owner claimed it had. I was told by the former owner that the head had been worked on, "valve job" and it had performance cams in it. He also said that the husband of Pops Yoshimura's grand daughter had built that motor. I dont even know who this guy is or if he's a good mechanic, or if the claim is even true. What I do know however, is that the bulk of this bikes power is made well above the 9k factory redline. As a matter of fact, I was following a car today at 80mph and downshifted to third and cracked the throttle wide open and went around that car fast as hell. I looked down at the tach and It was past 11k. I had installed a 14 tooth front spocket which raises the cruise rpm. I thought perhaps that it would lower my top speed but so far I have only gained more top speed because with the stock 15 tooth sprocket it took too long to get the bike to rev to the range where it really makes its power. For all I know this thing could have a 1015 kit already in it. The guy only mentioned to me that he had it recently re ringed not if it was the original bore size. He also mentioned that the head had been shaved also. Ive tried to use a compression tester to estimate cylinder pressure to see what kind of compression that im running but all my numbers seem excessive low. and I mean to low for the bike to even run. I know the rings aint shot or valves leaking because I dont have any power loss. I guess ill drive it till it blows then build it myself. at least then Ill know where I stand.

running these motors much over 9000-9500 rpms for any length of time starts playing hell with the main bearings.id say build the biggest motor you can afford,then you dont need to beat it so hard to make powerB)

More
02 Feb 2008 07:49 #192351 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic HP estimate 1015 kit
PLUMMEN wrote:

wiredgeorge wrote:

Sandy, I trust with the long winter up there, you will have time to get the bike on a dyno and shed some real light on this subject. I have seen several KZ1000s get dyno'd (good running stock bikes) and their owners were always shocked to be in the low to mid 60s HP. I may be wrong but I think 120 is very optimistic for any streetable KZ but I guess it depends on the definition of streetable. I am guessing that you mid-compression, street cam bike does run a bunch better than a stocker. Get her dyno'd and let us know.

im guessing it depends on if you are talking at the crank or at the rear wheel.my 1327 was dynoed at around 127 hp at rear wheel with a junk rear tire that kept breaking loose,but it runs 13:1 pistons a really good head and 38 flatslides to accomplish itB)

Guessing you have a few $$$ in it also ? And with that CR not very street worthy.

More
02 Feb 2008 18:05 #192474 by PLUMMEN
arai60 wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

wiredgeorge wrote:

Guessing you have a few $$$ in it also ? And with that CR not very street worthy.

13:1 kz style pistons with j head,actually closer to 11 1/2:1 or 12:1 depending on who you ask.;) ran like a bitch on 91 and some homemade rocketfuel additive,38mm carbs are worthless on a streetbike.my 1197 with lot of compression smaller head and small carbs would hold ts own with it stoplight to stoplight,but after that it was all over!it will be back but this time it will be a 1327 with around 9:1 compression,good head 34 flatslides and a nitrous bottle :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :P

More
03 Feb 2008 12:10 #192587 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic HP estimate 1015 kit
oldcoldankles wrote:

I wish I COULD get it dyno'd but there's nothing in the immediate area.
Donthekawguy says there's one in His area,so maybe next summer I can get it out that way and get it done.

SouthWest Motorrad, the new BMW/Ducati/Husqvarna & Triumph dealer has a DynoJet Dynamometer right in Kelowna Sandy.<br><br>Post edited by: Tony, at: 2007/12/28 13:36

Thanks John(and You too,Steve) for the info.
I'm going to call Southwest and pick their brains.
I'll get something set up for this season,and I'll report back with details.
Hey Tony...get ready for an Okanagan ride...no excuses!:P

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
03 Feb 2008 15:46 #192625 by PLUMMEN
horsepower is just a number anyway.the best dyno i ever found was the seat of my pants,when it gets to the point my pacemaker tells me i need to back out of the throttle before something really bad happens i know its running about right!:blink: :ohmy: :unsure: :S :dry: :blush: :whistle: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :pinch: :P the only person i need to outrun is myself,and thats enough of a project without worrying about how fast the next unridable guided missile off the dealer showroom is:P