Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cleaning the engine out of the bike 18 Jan 2006 20:14 #18585

• smoothnf
  • smoothnf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm want to paint my engine while i have it out..But it is nasty. So where do i don't want to spray water.. I have the clutch and the sprocket cover off...will it be ok to spray water on that....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cleaning the engine out of the bike 19 Jan 2006 07:06 #18639

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
To be honest, cleaning the engine with engine cleaner and water isn't all that useful. That nasty stuff isn't fazed by soap, engine cleaner and water. Put the covers back on while doing this stuff as you SURE don't want water in the engine. I recommend you buy a number of cans of carburetor cleaner (about 10 I guess) and spray that stuff on and buy a couple of small bristle brushed and scrub and spray. Once you have gotten the packed on oily goo off, then use a wire brush wheel (fine works the VERY best) and do some polishing. A Dremmel type tool with a variety of small brush attachments will allow you to get to the MANY areas where the larger wire brush wheel can't get to. This will perk up the looks of your engine. As far as painting your engine, paint ONLY after all the oily residue and grunge is gone. If you paint over anything oily, the paint won't stick. I would refrain from painting engine covers or anything that might be exposed to gas as the gas (or oil) will ruin the paint. generally, painting the engine cases, cylinder block and head work decently but painting the engine covers doesn't work as well.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Cleaning the engine out of the bike 19 Jan 2006 07:26 #18643

• smoothnf
  • smoothnf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
thanks, i will try that

Cleaning the engine out of the bike 21 Jan 2006 08:09 #19058

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I would install those expandable rubber plugs for the exhaust and intake ports before washing.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Cleaning the engine out of the bike 21 Jan 2006 22:06 #19184

• gas
  • User
Long skinny screw drivers and putty knives to dig the hidden pebbles and baked crud out. I basicly did what WiredGeorge outlined, about three times, to get the engine as clean as I wanted. Don't be surprised if you find out that you need an engine seal here and there. The kits are cheap. Make sure that your carbs are dry before installation. If you spill gas on uncured engine case paint it will likely streak and look like hell. After a good long hard ride or two, the paint should be ok.

• Page: