Terrible noise

More
23 Dec 2007 18:17 #186224 by tubbytwo
Replied by tubbytwo on topic Terrible noise
I just removed the 8 or so screws and pulled the cover off leaving the wires connected. The bitch was using the proper puller, lube and a 120lb impact wrench to remove the rotor. I used all of the 130psi my compressor had. I ended up heating the area around the taper inside. Then it came right off.

Nice weather today, I rode in your neighborhood. Little T, through Placerita Cyn to Boquet Dam. Just a small loop to break up the monotony of Sunday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
23 Dec 2007 23:29 #186250 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Terrible noise
Tubby,
thanks for the info. Did you use a propane torch to heat up the area where the rotor mounts to the shaft? The manual (and WiredGeorges's post) describes using a ball bearing driven by one of the fork bolts--although the manual picture doesn't look like the rotor in your picture. I wonder if that method can be used on this model... Lots to think about.
I will be out of town till at least Thursday, so I'm hoping to do the fix then.
I glad to hear that we have another local SoCal rider, hopefully you will join our West Coast Group when we start meeting again this spring.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
23 Dec 2007 23:43 #186251 by tubbytwo
Replied by tubbytwo on topic Terrible noise
Being a plumber, I used my Turbo Torch with Mapp gas. About 30% hotter than propane.

The axle bolt will work on mine, now that it's been off, but I can't imagine horsing around with a 24" wrench and holding it by hand as tight as it was. Worth a try though if you don't have a puller. Good luck. -Mike Toon

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
27 Dec 2007 20:29 #186655 by Grantl
Well, I removed the 17mm head bolt with an impact wrench but the axle bolt along with a .500" ball bearing is slow going trying to drive off the rotor. I think I've driven the rotor off maybe.080" but it still isn't coming off. I will try heating up the rotor tomorrow then try driving it off with the impact.
By the way, the three bolts coming through the backside of the rotor are clearly loose. Should be able to complete this fix in the morning if I can get the rotor off. I'll keep you posted.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
28 Dec 2007 11:02 #186729 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Terrible noise
I have removed three rotors with the puller that Z1 sells and the rotor pulled right off. I jammed a copper rod in the gear teeth on the other side of the engine to keep things from turning..........chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
29 Dec 2007 03:37 #186820 by Grantl
Well I got the fix completed and on;y had one large washer left over... I think it goes on my left case saver but I will check again in the morning.
The 3 starter clutch bolts that were loose were toast, the shoulders having banged back and forth for so long that the threads were completely gone. One tip I can pass on to others would be to add a small amount of grease to the starter clutch rollers to keep them from falling out of the housing when mounting to the end of the crank. Prior to doing this, they fell out every time I turned the unit upright.
Anyway, repair completed and thanks to all for your sage advice.
The bike sounds much better now at idle and also when pulling away from a stop.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
29 Dec 2007 05:15 #186829 by twinkyrider
Replied by twinkyrider on topic Terrible noise
I'm pretty sure that's where your big left over washer goes...it will hold in the rollers so they don't fall out...providing your springs still have spring left in them (I've stretched them out bit to proper length or so).

78 kz1000A
Fond du Lac,WI