Still can't believe this simple fix

More
15 Dec 2007 17:19 #185228 by ironyankee
Still can't believe this simple fix was created by ironyankee
So I've been fooling around with an '81 750-4 for the past month or so.You know the kind that sit for a few years and have the usual scrapes and bangs,dull chrome,leaky carbs,rusty tanks.Well I got the carbs sealed up,float levels good,etc...Still had a stumble at about 3000 rpm Wired George's coil mod helped-13.5 volts is a lot better at the coils than 11.6.So I got this stumble and after my 4th carb cleaning(1 a week average!)I decided to have a look at the timing advancer.Well,the gasket was gone on the cover and sure enough I don't think it had any lube in the grooves for the past 20 years.I pulled the advancer off and the springs looked good-after all this bike is running right? Then I noticed the notches/grooves in the sleeve had some pretty good burrs on them from the rubbing of the advance plates.I brought the sleeve in the garage and under my magnifying glass/light(my 45 year old eyes aren't what they used to be)I deburred both notches with a mill file,put some grease back into the grooves and started the beast back up.It revs faster,the bog/stumble is a lot less noticeable and has much more power from 2500-7500.Just had to share this with everyone.This is a quick check and an easy fix.lube deburr your advancer! Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2007 23:34 #185267 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Still can't believe this simple fix
Thanks for sharing this ironyank. I have the exact same bike and will be in there already when I replace the oil switch. So, I'll make sure to check the advancer too.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.