Valve clearance misery, help needed!

More
13 Dec 2007 10:58 #184895 by Wilde
Hi, the &%¤&%¤ valves changes clearance just to &/%/ me off!.

I checked my valve clearances, all fine (0,1 - 0,15 mm) except intake on cyl 1 (valve 5) which was 0,05-0,1). So I remove the cam, change the shim on valve 5 from 2,40 to 2,35 and put the cam back. I lubed all the bearings and tightened all camcap bolts in the correct order to the correct torque. Double checked chain timing. Turned the engine a couple of turns and rechecked the clearances, and to my utter confusion I now have no clearance on valve 5 and not on 7 either! 6 and 8 as before. Ok so I guess I made it wrong, disassemble all, recheck all the bearing surfaces, relube, check that every camcap and bolt is in the right place, tighten bolts with fingers and torque them in correct order (double check order and torque) ok to be sure, I torque a little lower. Recheck camshaft is on correct, measure again, 5 and 7 no clearance.

At this point I almost drove a hammer through the window. So ok recheck procedure in factory manual and compare to Haynes: no difference.

I just have no idea whatsoever what might have happened and no idea what to try next. So I beg to the kzrider forum gurus, please help!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2007 12:27 #184909 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Valve clearance misery, help needed!
the only two things that come to mind are the shims under the bucket, I am guessing that is so on your bike, are not seating correctly, or you have used some heavy grease in the reassembly and it has changed the clearance

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
13 Dec 2007 12:54 #184914 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Valve clearance misery, help needed!
Did you measure the replacement shims to make sure the numbers that are printed on them are correct? Are you making sure the cam lobe is opposite of the valve bucket when you take the reading? Do not use grease on the shim, use engine oil. Are you using the same feeler gause every time. There are not that many reasons why your clearances would do that.

More
14 Dec 2007 02:51 #185001 by Wilde
Replied by Wilde on topic Valve clearance misery, help needed!
Thanks guys for the replies, I removed the cam once again yesterday night and You were right, the shim was not correctly seated. How that happened is beyond me, but it had. I did not have time to reinstall and measure but I am pretty certain that was it. Thanks again.

More
14 Dec 2007 09:10 #185047 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Valve clearance misery, help needed!
Wilde wrote:

...I did not have time to reinstall and measure...

Too busy replacing the window? :laugh:

Sorry, just kidding. I know valve adjustments can be frustrating. Luckily there were no windows in the basement where I did it. ;)

More
14 Dec 2007 13:19 #185081 by Wilde
Honestly, in my teens I almost drew a screwdriver into my friend when he laughed when I could not get the chainlink on correct on my 50cc bike. I actually saw stars before my eyes of adrenalin...

More
14 Dec 2007 13:21 #185083 by Wilde
Clearances measured now and they are spot on, also invested in a high quality torque wrench, about $120...

More
14 Dec 2007 14:22 #185098 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Valve clearance misery, help needed!
Glad to hear it's solved!
B)

More
14 Dec 2007 14:40 #185099 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Valve clearance misery, help needed!
I went through the same experience once, come to find out a shim marked .235 was actually the next bigger size, so it happens.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
15 Dec 2007 23:40 #185268 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Valve clearance misery, help needed!
I had a similar problem. However, my issue was that I hadn't correctly torqued the bolts before initialy measuring the clearances. Once I did that, all was good. :)

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD