Clutch hub

More
12 Dec 2007 17:36 #184783 by kzmason
Clutch hub was created by kzmason
So, I am considering sending my clutch basket off to APE to have it rebuilt but wanted to confirm the need for such an expenditure. I bought a basket off of ebay that was supposed to be 'good to go' and it is just like the one I have. Turning the gear opposite the basket, I can just barely feel any play and all the springs have a little free play in their housings. Does this constitute the need for a rebuild?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2007 13:37 #185334 by kzmason
Replied by kzmason on topic Clutch hub
Anyone..?

More
17 Dec 2007 09:06 #185425 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Clutch hub
Depends on wether you are just riding your bike or racing it. I have owned 4 cyl Kawasaki bikes since they first came out and never broke/wore out a clutch hub....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
17 Dec 2007 09:40 #185432 by oldkaw79
Replied by oldkaw79 on topic Clutch hub
Cheap investment to a potential nasty problem.

More
17 Dec 2007 14:23 #185446 by joesmotos
Replied by joesmotos on topic Clutch hub
From what i remember,the cheapo clutch basket hop up for the later model(J engine) 1000's was to use a old style(KZ/Z-1) clutch basket...even in stock unmodified form they hold up to alot of abuse..the mod you refer to,they grind off the rivets holding the retaining plate for the springs and replace the stock springs with heavier ones..and a thicker backing plate.I have seen more than one KZ basket with a broken spring but..if they arent broken,i dont think i would mess with it unless i was going to build a really big,powerful engine that needed them..