pre-spark

• brianpclarke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Dec 2007 22:34 #184533 by brianpclarke
pre-spark was created by brianpclarke
Well... first off I own a 1978 kz650 which is cursed... therefore sorry for long post...
I have put more hours wrenching and pondering than even most of you would deem appropriate.... but the
sobbing aside....
History: owned 78 650 and bike was run over by a truck.. bought this "parts bike" = =78 650 which had been sitting for about 5 years. got it running for a little while and found no compression in cylinder 1. changed rings and here i am....

Problem #1... while I was trying to spoil my handicapped bike.. I decided to pop a dyna S into it. Well my poor man ohm meter doesnt check resistance so I just checked voltage and set the timing that way...(maybe not smart)... but seemed to work when setting it. Anyhow... came home tonight and got on the bike and tried to start him (exhaust is off the bike presently) and saw the reflection of the spark on the ground. I am guessing that this leads me to say that the exhaust valve isnt closed when getting spark.... I am sorry but I havent gotten a further diagnosis on it yet and determined if it is all cylinders or just #3... but wondering if this is normal and going in the wrong direction or if this is definitely a timing issue

Again thanks for all replies for all will be appreciated... no matter what the advice. (Mostly everyone has told me to junk the poor old bastard bike)

Post edited by: brianpclarke, at: 2007/12/11 01:35

Post edited by: brianpclarke, at: 2007/12/11 01:42

Post edited by: brianpclarke, at: 2007/12/11 11:05

-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2007 04:21 #184539 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic pre-spark
I think you need to back up and check a few things.

Have you checked the valves, sounds like you may have some tight.

Next, since you pulled the head you said you only replace one set of rings, is it possible that you could have broken some on the reinstall.

I would not try to fire up up the bike without the exhuast on it, the cold air can bend a valve real easy.

try to run a leak down test to see where the air is going and thus figure out if its valve or ring related

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.