Turned down rebuild at local shop

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jan 2006 20:21 #18363 by xstreamcanadian
Turned down rebuild at local shop was created by xstreamcanadian
I went to a local shop and the parts guy told me rebuilding my 76 and 77 kz650s was a waste of time and would cost a crazy amount of money. My question is this. I have two engines, and I have torn one down and started looking for valves and pistons etc. He told me that the parts arent available and when they are that they are not worth the money. Ok that isnt a question. I live in Vancouver, canada, are there any of you here? If so does anyone feel like trading labour for labour and helping one another out? Also, any advise on where to get parts?

Thanks in advance

PS I am also wanting vented rotors, but he told me they dont exist.... I dont like him much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2006 20:37 #18368 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
I would keep trying, just because one shop tells you something it doesen't mean all will. I found the bigger the shop the bigger the problem, we have some small shops here (one or two guys) that were very helpful also look for the shop with a lot of parts bikes and junk then ask other bikers about their reputation, i found a lot of stuff on ebay for cheap, new parts too !. You say you have two engines , I'll bet there are enough reconditionable parts to do one complete engine, most gaskets are available, try Z1 enterprise, pro-flo sudco, or megacycle they all have websites as well as others. Many automobile machine shops will do cycle stuff also...Just look around man its out there

More
17 Jan 2006 21:11 #18374 by Old-Skul
Replied by Old-Skul on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
See if you can find a shop that specializes in Drag Racing. Air cooled GS1000 motors are still the hot setup for several drag classes. A shop that builds air cooled GS1000 motors will also know how to rebuild your 650 motor and be used to the challenges of dealing with 20 year old parts. They also will likely have a very strong knowledge of the bigger Zeds that will carry over in some degree to your 650.

Find the local drag strip and check bulletin boards and talk to people. This is how I found the shop that built my 80hp 650 motor. Plan on $2K - $3K for just labor if you have them do the complete rebuild. I'd order all neccessary parts up front that you know or suspect that you'll need to make it faster. It takes some work to track down parts for the bikes but the forum here will help you out - and you don't want the shop charging you for chasing parts!

That being said, "$3000 restoring a $300 KZ650 will still result in a $300 KZ650". If your going to ride and enjoy the bike for what it is, than it's worth it. But it is a money losing proposition - unless you get the money back out as fun! Personally, I've had enough fun on my 650 to make it well worth the expense!

More
17 Jan 2006 21:14 #18376 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
xstreamcanadian wrote:

I went to a local shop and the parts guy told me rebuilding my 76 and 77 kz650s was a waste of time and would cost a crazy amount of money. My question is this. I have two engines, and I have torn one down and started looking for valves and pistons etc. He told me that the parts arent available and when they are that they are not worth the money. Ok that isnt a question. I live in Vancouver, canada, are there any of you here? If so does anyone feel like trading labour for labour and helping one another out? Also, any advise on where to get parts?

Thanks in advance

PS I am also wanting vented rotors, but he told me they dont exist.... I dont like him much.

Check your Private messages.

More
17 Jan 2006 21:16 #18378 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
Gaskets, valve guides, valve stem seals, valves, pistons (Wiseco), are all available. Don't know about crank bearings. This should just about c over a rebuild.

Jay

More
18 Jan 2006 01:10 #18400 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
You should smack that guy! :angry:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
18 Jan 2006 02:26 #18402 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
What you should do is, after you get your bike done you should bring it buy his shop and do a 11,500 rpm burn out. :evil:
Dont forget about the one finger salute.
That guy should learn how to walk on his elbows.:blink:

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2006/01/18 05:28

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2006 05:24 #18413 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
definately!but before you do the burnout get a t-shirt advertising for the shop that did the work make sure its in really big letters across the back of the shirt so all their customers cant miss it,and start the burnout in front of the service managers desk!bwaha:evil:

More
18 Jan 2006 06:44 #18419 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
Welcome to KZR.

Like mentioned above, parts can be found. Look in the LINKS section up top. Some of the parts stores are listed in there.

Give us some pictures of your rides when you can, even if their in pieces! Then more when your finished.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
18 Jan 2006 06:45 #18420 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
Old-Skul wrote:

Plan on $2K - $3K for just labor if you have them do the complete rebuild.

That being said, "$3000 restoring a $300 KZ650 will still result in a $300 KZ650". If your going to ride and enjoy the bike for what it is, than it's worth it. But it is a money losing proposition - unless you get the money back out as fun! Personally, I've had enough fun on my 650 to make it well worth the expense!

You can have REDLINE CYCLE here in Illinois build a 100 + HP 900 engine for that kind of money !! www.redlinecycle.com/partspage.html
I know it's not Canada but you guys must have someone up there that can do it cheaper.

And I agree 110 % with the getting your $$ worth in fun !!
Keep us posted.
Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2006/01/18 09:45

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
18 Jan 2006 07:14 #18426 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
Hi xstreamcanadian and welcome to the forum. There are quite a few active members from BC and the Vancouver area in here. In the Kelowna area the Kaw dealer does some vintage bike work, but most of it is done by Innovative Motorsports. You could phone them at 250-765-9457 and ask if they could recommend a shop closer to your area;)

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

More
18 Jan 2006 08:22 #18436 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Turned down rebuild at local shop
A rebuild of a 70's era motor technically speaking may not be "worth it" from a value added point of view. Even 1000$ of work on a vehicle blue booked at 800$ is not cost effective. That said I ride and appreciate older bikes just to get away from value added and cost effectiveness. Get more than I care to hear about that s!@t from work. The pride of ownership and joy in tinkering is all I need. There are oodles of parts and services available for your bike. Tell the shop (dealership?) to push off.

Plan out your rebuild: What can you afford in total? What can you afford right now? What is priority? What do expect to get out of it? What can you do yourself? What needs to be farmed out?

Best of luck.