Base Gasket Install

More
02 Dec 2007 18:42 #183598 by 2bskor
Base Gasket Install was created by 2bskor
Ok after a year and the first snowfall I finally decided to change the head gasket/s and the base gasket.

This is going to be a winter project BUT I did so good and I got the head off and the carbs etc in a couple of hours. I got right to the lower head that houses the pistons but the frigin thing won't budge. I am doing it all by the clymers manual. It's like it is welded to together.

I beat on it with a piece of wood and a hammer, I tapped all around with a rubber mallet still stuck. Am I missing something another bolt?? is there any other way?? My case has a pry spot on the outer sides of the head and can't budge it from there either:angry:

The only thing that I didn't remove is the guide that is held with a phillips screw in the front of the engine in the centre hole where the cam chain is, but I don't think that would make a difference.

I really need to replace that gasket so any help tips or tricks would be a great help.

1979 kz1000st (E) model

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2007 20:42 #183615 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Base Gasket Install
Did you take out the two bolts that I believe are down in the cam chain tunnel?

I don't recall with certainty, but since every other KZ has them I imagine the 1000 does also.

KD9JUR

More
02 Dec 2007 20:51 #183617 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Base Gasket Install
there are not two bolts in the cam chain tunnel on a 1000.

i would get a screwdriver with wrench flats on it and put it in the pry slot and twist it using the wrench.

if it has never been done before they can get quite stuck.

are you planning on using oversized pistons or just doing a re-ring?

shimming a head when it's off is also a ton easier.

just be careful so you don't break off any fins.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
03 Dec 2007 05:32 #183636 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic Base Gasket Install
Actuall the gaskets was leaking. I'm not sure about the rins or shimming what is that?? Sorry to sound like a homer. I was going to clean up the surface and reuse the rings. The bike worked well before this it just leaked oil from the base gasket and head gasket at highway speeds.

More
03 Dec 2007 07:36 #183651 by kzdev1360
Replied by kzdev1360 on topic Base Gasket Install
The rings are on the pistons to keep the oil out of the Combustion Chamber, there are three of them. Two compression rings at the top to keel cylinder pressure and one below that is the oil ring to keep oil down. It is reccomended that you put on new rings, but i guess that it is not absolutly necessary. I would strongly reccomend it though. It just depends on the miles. At the very minimum though you will have to re-hone the cylinders before you reinstall the pistons so that the rings may re-set in their respective bores. You can have a shop do it, or you can buy your own ball hone that attaches to a drill. I did my own cylinders and it actually suprised me, i practiced on a junk cylinder first though and then it came out great. I dont know what the shimming in the head is referring to either though. The valves? Oh, well i hope this helps a little. and i am by no means an expert so if someone else has a correction feel free. lol

2006 Gsxr 1000
1976 Kz900 LTD
1977 Kz650 (720 motor, andrews cams)

More
03 Dec 2007 07:46 #183653 by 2bskor
Pistons and rings I know about I was referring to the shimming. I will try again tonight to get the head off but now I don't feel real comfortable honing and putting new rings in.

The bike worked well like I said except for the oil leaks. At least if I only do the top portion of the head half of the leak will be gone :woohoo:

Thanks very much for your input !!

More
03 Dec 2007 16:12 #183723 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Base Gasket Install
if you are removing the cylinders to change the base gasket, i would strongly suggest changing the rings at a minimum.
like it was said, get a ball hone and buy some new rings.
at around $100 for a good ring set from z1, it is cheap insurance.
bench shimming the head means to set the valve lash when the head is off the bike .
it is so much easier to not have to work around the cams when changing shims.
just measure the clearence, remove the cams and change the shim with the one needed.
reinstall the cams and re check your clearences.
off the bike is easier because you don't have to worry about lining the cams up right yet or trying to compress the spring for the shim on top buckets.

did you get the cylinders off yet?

btw, got any pictures of your progress so we can get a visual of where your at ?

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2007/12/03 19:14

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
03 Dec 2007 17:57 #183741 by 2bskor
I didn't get them off yet. I kind of left it alone for a day or so. I will get some pics and post them soon. Thanks for the advice keep it comming.