kz1000c2 valve issues

More
30 Nov 2007 15:53 #183253 by bdecho
kz1000c2 valve issues was created by bdecho
I just got a call from the shop thats doing my valve job (yeah i'm lazy) on my bike. They say that the #2 exhaust valve lobe is worn more than all of the other ones. The bike has always been hard to start when its cold, and never really ran right. I haven't really ridden the bike much. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Does this sound like a realistic problem? Also, i brought the bike in to the shop on wednesday, they said they would have to take it apart measure and order the shims, and its already done on friday?!!? The whole situation feels strange to me. What do you guys think? I have to go in tomorrow and talk with these guys to see whats up, so as many ideas and information would definatly be helpful.

Also, if i have to take off the head i want to send it to someone who I can trust to do the work. Does anyone have any recomendations? I figure if i have to replace cams and do a valve job, i might as well get the heads ported get some larger cams etc... Who should i talk to about that?

I appreciate anyones help and advice. This whole thing ruined my day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2007 15:59 #183255 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic kz1000c2 valve issues
depends on how much wear is there, it sounds like it is starting to round off a lobe, and if that is the case then the shim is going to be bad also.
I dont think that would be the cause of the hard start, but it can cause a bad idle problem and performance issues

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
30 Nov 2007 16:04 #183257 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic kz1000c2 valve issues
find the specs for cam your cam lobes (service manual is a good place to look) then show up with a pair of ass kicking boots and a micrometer.... If the cam is out of spec it will be the first i have heard of (but i only troll these forums, I don't do this for a profession) but i am sure stock cams can be found easy and cheap on ebay.

If it is not out of spec, well then it is time to break in those boots i told you to bring!

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
30 Nov 2007 17:19 #183265 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic kz1000c2 valve issues
bdecho wrote:

Also, if i have to take off the head i want to send it to someone who I can trust to do the work. Does anyone have any recomendations? I figure if i have to replace cams and do a valve job, i might as well get the heads ported get some larger cams etc... Who should i talk to about that?

I appreciate anyones help and advice. This whole thing ruined my day.

The me check around and get back to you!!:P :P :P

More
30 Nov 2007 20:30 #183294 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kz1000c2 valve issues
Jay's a funny guy :D :D

What he's trying to say (but isn't allowed to because he owns the place) is check out www.kzzone.com/ , the best known KZ1000 engine builder in the US.

It's the KZ part of APE :)

KD9JUR

More
02 Dec 2007 00:29 #183463 by bdecho
Replied by bdecho on topic kz1000c2 valve issues
well i got to talk to the guy who actually worked on the bike. He said that the cam lobe was scored up like there was some debris in there at one time. The not firing on that cylinder thing was pretty stupid. They said the valves were in spec... so it didn't run any better than it did when i brought it in which is a bummer. I still paid more than i wanted to for what they did, but the guy has a spare kz1000 motor laying around that he said he would give to me. I guess the top end is great, so i could send that one in to get done and just swap them out. Overall i'm ok with it. I don't plan on taking it back there though. Thanks guys for giving me some ammo. It turns out i didn't really need it though. Thats good, i don't like arguing first thing in the morning after i get off work anyways. Thanks again. I'll be checking out that kzzone!

More
03 Dec 2007 12:27 #183689 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic kz1000c2 valve issues
A compression check might have saved you alot of money....Stock cams are on ebay almost every week. I have never heard of a bad cam lobe. One of my bikes is approaching 50k miles and the cams still look perfect.......chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE