Engine cooling fan

More
07 Mar 2008 05:14 #198873 by davel
Replied by davel on topic Engine cooling fan
BohicaBob wrote:

Thanks for sharing this information about installing a cooling fan.

I've often thought how great it would be to have a cooling fan on my Zs here in Florida especially during the summer when it's 95+ degrees F and I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic ... and my Zs' oil temperature is approaching 250 degrees F.

Glad it was helpful. It should work well and be worth the effort in Florida city traffic.

Also worth noting that you can ease the installation and reduce cost by using a simple handlebar mounted on/off switch for the fan. I decided to go the whole 9 yards with the temp sensor and relay setup. Works well but was a bit more complicated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2008 05:40 #198874 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Engine cooling fan
I tried that once but with one of those computer dc volt fans. I needed like 3 of em to move a decent amount of air

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
07 Mar 2008 05:51 #198877 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Engine cooling fan
I've considered the on/off switch idea too. But using the temp sensor and relay is the better way to go, plus they could work in concert with my oil temp thermostat and oil temp gauge.

More
07 Mar 2008 10:11 #198926 by davel
Replied by davel on topic Engine cooling fan
BohicaBob wrote:

I've considered the on/off switch idea too. But using the temp sensor and relay is the better way to go, plus they could work in concert with my oil temp thermostat and oil temp gauge.

Yeah, I didn't think you would want to take any shortcuts after looking at your 73 Z1...Nice bike!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Mar 2008 11:45 #198939 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Engine cooling fan
Davel . Thanks for the great post.i too hve given this a lot of thought for my 1327cc motor.thanks again. Nice job.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
09 Mar 2008 03:12 #199165 by KTA
Replied by KTA on topic Engine cooling fan
It would be interesting to see oil temperature numbers under different circumstances before and after the install.

Do you think the fan ends up blocking air flow at high speeds?